Using Leek Tops
  Re: (...)
I'm always looking for ways to use the tops of leeks rather than tossing them - here are a few -

Of course, wash them very carefully and...

slice the green tops very thinly; blanch in boiling water (about 2 minutes) until they turn bright green, then drain. Saute in hot butter with a pinch of pepper added.

Slice thinly and add to soups, stocks, stews.

Saute and add to sauces and strain - add great flavor.

Shred finely and put in water with a little butter, seasoning and a couple of chicken fillets, cover and cook in the oven on low heat for an hour and a half. The leek tops act as an onion but with better flavor.

Anyone else have some good uses for leek tops??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Using Leek Tops by cjs (I'm always looking f...)
Basically, you've covered it pretty well. The one other thing I've heard is to braise them as you would collard greens.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Thanks for some good ideas, as leeks tend to be a little pricey in our neck of the woods, and I always feel guilty tossing the tops.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Yeah, thanks!

I always throw them away and it just breaks my heart (and my pocket book). I am glad to know that there IS something else that I can use them for.

Gonna give that a try!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Using Leek Tops by luvnit (Yeah, thanks![br][br...)
Those are great ideas Jean, the only use I could think of was to stuff them inside a chicken when roasting. Adds some flavor. Good to have more uses!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
I wonder if you could cut some blanched leek tops in strips and use them as ties for beggars' purses or vegetable bundles. I'm always looking for things to use this way.

Could they be frozen and kept for such a purpose?

I wondered the same thing about celery. Could you shave those outside strings and use the strip as a 'tie'? I'll just have to try it.
  Re: Re: Using Leek Tops by chef_Tab (Those are great idea...)
Thanks for the ideas Jean. I use some of the green in recipes, removing tough outer layers as I go up...but not too far. Nice to know there's a use for the rest.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Using Leek Tops by sophia (I wonder if you coul...)
Quote:

I wonder if you could cut some blanched leek tops in strips and use them as ties for beggars' purses or vegetable bundles. I'm always looking for things to use this way.

Made some beggars' purses from crepes, filled with duxelles and pine nuts, and tied with scallions, once. Can't remember if the recipe was Patricia Wells or Jacques Pepin. Delicious, though. You could probably do the same thing with the leek greens, but it's likely you would have to slice thin strips out of them, since they are so much wider than scallions.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Using Leek Tops by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I use leek tops to wrap my herbs in for a bouquet garni. It beats wrapping herbs in cheese cloth.

I also use them in my stock. Whether veggie stock or chicken stock. Their flavor is just wonderful
  Re: Re: Using Leek Tops by DFen911 (I use leek tops to w...)
When I'm shopping and feeling particularly bi+chy I will break off the green tops and leave them with the other leeks. The veggie person told me once that I couldn't do that and I told him, "I most certainly can, would you like to see me do it again?"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy