Baby Shower Menu
  Re: (...)
I'm having a baby shower for my sweet Daughter-in-law. Any ideas out there for tasty finger sandwiches, or sandwich loaf, or even if you have some yummy rollup reipies? Any and all ideas will be welcome. I'd like to make something that is okay to do ahead of time. I don't really want to be making food the day of the shower.
Now that I have made so many C@H dishes, they are expecting a lot from me!
  Re: Baby Shower Menu by Nana (I'm having a baby sh...)
Oh my, so many ideas for you - where to begin.

here are a couple and I'll bet you will be inundated with ideas.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Prosciutto, Brie and Apricot Wraps

16 slices prosciutto -- not too thinly sliced
1 wheel Brie -- (400-gram) cut into 16 slices
1/4 cup apricot preserves

Lay one prosciutto slice on work surface. Place a slice of Brie about 1/3 distance from one end. Top with a small dollop of apricot preserves. Fold short end of prosciutto over Brie then continue to roll to the end. Secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining slices.

Description:
"To serve 12 to 20 people instead, simply substitute a 1kg wheel of Brie and double the remaining ingredients. Whole Foods recipe"
-------

This wrap I can't tell you how many parties I made them for - they are always a winner!!

SIESTA WRAPS

2 large poblano peppers
2 medium sweet red peppers
1/2 cup cream cheese
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 T. cilantro -- snipped fresh
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 flour tortillas -- 7- or 8-inch (or use the large wraps now available)

To roast poblano and sweet red peppers, halve peppers and remove stems, membranes, & seeds.
Place peppers, cut side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake in a 425 oven for 20-25 min. or till skin is bubbly and browned.
Wrap the peppers in the foil; let stand for 15-20 min. or till cool enuf to handle.
Pull the skin off gently and slowly using a paring knife, cut peppers into thin strips.

or, roast the peppers over a gas burner till completely blackened, drop in plastic bag and let steam for about 15 min.
Then rub most (but not all) the black skin off the peper under running water.

Mean while, stir together the cream cheese, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and ground red pepper.
Spread tortillas with cream cheese mixture.
Lay poblano & red pepper strips over cream cheese. Roll up tortillas. Wrap w/clear plastic wrap.

Refrigerate up to 6 hours.
Unwrap & bias-slice wraps crosswise into 1 1/4" slices.
Makes about 24 pieces for 8 to 10 appetizer servings.

Description:
"Two kinds of pepper combine for just the right "warmth" in the filling. For a twist, try vegetable-flavor tortillas in place of the plain variety."
Yield: "24 pieces"
Serving Ideas : Wine: Sauvignon Blanc

--------

This is another catering favorite -

DANISH MEATBALLS WITH DILL SAUCE

1 6 lb. bag Purchased Meatballs (31 servings of 5 meatballs each = 155 meatballs per 6# pkg.)
SAUCE:
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup a.p. flour
3 cups chix broth
3 cups sour cream
3/8 cup chopped fresh dill (or add some dried dill also)

Melt butter; stir in flour & cook for couple of min.
Slowly add broth & mix will.
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, till sauce bubbles & thickens.

Stir in sour cream and dill.
Taste & add addt'l s&p if needed. Cool & chill.
(for parties: seal in pouches to be heated in water at party)

At service: Heat meatballs in oven-see back of pkg.
Heat sauce in pouch in hot water. Pour over meatballs in chafer.
Sprinkle w/a little addt'l. dill weed.

Serving Ideas : ------------
Serve with picks or short skewers for spearing

--------

Here's the original recipe for the above meatballs - if you have time to make them from scratch, they really are wonderful.

DANISH MEATBALLS WITH DILL SAUCE

1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground veal
1/2 pound ground pork
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
1/3 cup onion -- finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
Panko -- as needed
1 cup butter -- divided
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 T. dry dillweed

Mix beef, veal, pork, salt, pepper, eggs, onion and heavy cream together; beat until very smooth and well blended. Shape mixture with wet hands into 1" balls. Roll balls in panko & place side by side in a shallow baking pan; cover and chill.

Melt 1/2 cup of the butter in a large pan; stir in flour; gradually stir in broth. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce bubbles and thickens.
Stir in sour cream and dill. Taste and add additional salt & pepper, if needed. Cool & Chill.

When ready to serve, melt remaining stick of butter. Drizzle butter over the meatballs; bake in 375 F. oven for 30-35 min., or until brown, turning the meatballs after 15 min.
Place meatballs in chafing dish; pour sauce over and serve hot with skewers for spearing. Sprinkle with additional chopped fresh dill.

NOTES : Makes 75 meatballs & 2 cups sauce

----

and for dessert -
NORTHWEST BLACKBERRY COBBLER

For the Filling: 6 cups berries -
3 cups blackberries
1 cups raspberries
1 cups blueberries
1 cups strawberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup a.p. flour
For the Batter:
2 cups a.p. flour
1 cups plus 1 T. sugar
1 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoons salt
1 cups milk
8 tablespoons butter (1/4 lb.), unsalted and melted
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
----------
1 cups heavy cream, whipped for garnish

Preheat oven to 350°. Filling: Mix the berries, sugar, & flour in a large bowl, & pour into a 15" nonreactive oval baking dish. Let stand ~35 min.

Batter: Combine the flour, 1 c. of sugar, b. powder & salt in food processor.
Process to combine; add milk & melted butter, beat till smooth.

Spoon the batter over the berries, making sure you spread it to the edges of the dish (to prevent any excess juice from boiling over). (Note: I don't agree with this, I think it's so pretty to let some of the juice come thru a couple places and a little around the edge.)
Sprinkle the remaining 1 T. sugar and the nutmeg over the batter.

Bake in center of oven till the crust is brown and crisp on the outside & cooked all the way thru, & the berries are bubbling up thru it, ~ 1 hour. Remove cobbler from oven & let cool for 10 min. before serving.
Serve the cream along side.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Baby Shower Menu by Nana (I'm having a baby sh...)
Rollups? My vote goes to the Mushroom-and-Chicken-Sausage Rolls I've mentioned (and made) a few times.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Baby Shower Menu by cjs (Oh my, so many ideas...)
I've used Jean's recipe for Danish meatballs many times including my daughter's baby shower and they are always a hit. She also has a "faux champagne" recipe she might be willing to share.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Baby Shower Menu by Mare749 (I've used Jean's rec...)
Oh, you know my memory, Maryann - I forgot about that one. This is so good!

FAUX CHAMPAGNE

34 ozs bottle carbonated water, chilled
34 ozs ginger ale, chilled
24 ounces unsweetened white grape juice, chilled
Ice cubes or party ice cubes (see below)

In a lg. pitcher combine carbonated water, ginger ale, & grape juice.
Pour over ice cubes in chilled champagne glasses or wine glasses (or punch bowl).

Serve immediately. Makes about 20 4-oz. servings.

FOR PARTY ICE: Place small pcs. of fruit (berries or tiny citrus wedges), small sprigs of fresh mint, or 1/2" strips of orange peel into the compartments of ice cube trays. Add enuf water to fill, then freeze.

one batch = $5.31 - 20 4-oz. servings.

Yield:
"20 4-oz servings"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Party guests love this 'punch' - Be sure to take extra.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baby Shower Menu by cjs (Oh, you know my memo...)
I did a choice of three wraps last year for a bridal shower. Southwestern wraps in a white tortilla, salmon salad in a spinach tortilla, and chicken salad in a whole wheat tortilla. The whole wheat was hard to work with and not as pliable - I had some falling apart when I rolled them up. If I did this again, I would avoid the whole wheat and use a tomato tortilla for the southwest and white for the chicken salad. The southwestern and salmon salad are CAH recipes. The chicken salad was store bought It was on sale and I was running out of time!

I cut them in half on a diagonal and most people tried two kinds. Only problem with this menu is that it makes for a lot of last minute prep. I think I had mine held for about 90 minutes before serving. This probably isn't what you had in mind if you don't want to have prep on the day of the shower.
  Re: Re: Baby Shower Menu by HomeCulinarian (I did a choice of th...)
Jeanette - did you rub just the littlest bit of water of the whole wheat tortillas (or any for that matter)on both sides before filling and rolling? This seems to help them be more pliable. Not wet, just nice and damp.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baby Shower Menu by HomeCulinarian (I did a choice of th...)
No, but wow, I bet they were beautiful! I like how you used so many colors. I might try this at another time.
  Re: Re: Baby Shower Menu by Nana (No, but wow, I bet t...)
I'll have to think about this, but right off the top of my head here's a wrap I do with leftover salmon that is light and refreshing. I took an idea for something else and developed my own wrap. I made my own spinach wraps, because I can't find them here. You can use a good quality wrap from the store...easy!

Salmon Wrap

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 ounces salmon -- (I use fresh cooked salmon.)
6 spinach wraps
8 ounces cream cheese
4 ounces crème fraîche -- I used sour cream.
2 sprigs dill -- chopped
1/4 cucumber -- finely chopped
1 large tomato -- skinned and chopped
1 tablespoon parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Drain the salmon, discard the skin and bones, if desired. Flake the salmon with a fork, cover and set aside

Mix together the dill, soft cheese and crème fraîche (or sour cream). Spread evenly over spinach wraps, then sprinkle the cucumber, tomato, salmon, and herbs over the surface. Roll up and slice in half or into pinwheels, then carefully transfer to a serving plate. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

I think you could do this early in the day and chill until service...then slice and serve.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Baby Shower Menu by Gourmet_Mom (I'll have to think a...)
Then there's the gouda smeared with dijon mustard and wrapped in phyllo or cresent rolls, seams sealed and baked....YUM! An oldie but goodie. I'll keep thinking and add new ideas to this post.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.