What is your favorite Cookbook?
  Re: (...)
I'd like to check out more cookbooks at the library and I would like some inspiration. Does anyone have a favorite cookbook they use or would recommend to others?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: What is your favorite Cookbook? by luvnit (I'd like to check ou...)
Oooh, fun thread. I can't wait to see what books everyone else is using, I like reading new books too. There's no way I can narrow it down to just one, but here are some of my current favorites:

Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
Barefoot Contessa - any of her 6 books
King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
Any of the CAH cookbooks
The New Best Recipe by Cooks Illustrated (I have a lot of their books but this one is a good start)

I'm sure I'll think of more soon.
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cookbook? by ryansnurse (Oooh, fun thread. I...)
That's like asking which kid you like best....geez. Halve to think on this one a little. Off top of my head -

Jacques Pepin's - Fast Food My Way
Nigella Lawson's - Feast

great thread idea, Laura, except....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cookbook? by cjs (That's like asking w...)
Glad you joined in Ryansnurse. I know it's hard to narrow it down to one. I should rephrase that to 'a few of', I agree. Thanks for your input.

Jean - 'except' what?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: What is your favorite Cookbook? by luvnit (I'd like to check ou...)
Good grief! How on earth could I ever pick! There are 2 or 3 boxes of cookbooks in the garage that I haven't seen in years! I still haven't got all of my recent cookbooks on shelves yet - not enough shelves

I just checked out my first Diana Kennedy cookbook - and I just know I'm going to have to have all of hers -such amazingly detailed recipes, techniques, and ingredient descriptions for Mexican cuisine.

Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet is right up there, A New York Times International Cookbook - with a too die for Lemon Chicken recipe. My Rick Bayless cookbooks, Cooking with Love & Paprika by Joseph Pasternak, My James Beard cookbooks, that's just to name a few.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cookbook? by Harborwitch (Good grief! How on ...)
...except I'll want to buy what you guys recommend that I don't have.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cookbook? by cjs (...except I'll want ...)
I have TONS of cookbooks and it would be really difficult for me to choose a favorite....it just depends on the type of food you would want.....choices, choices!!!

Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking---Vol 1 and 2
Basic----Fanny Farmer
All [Email]C@H[/Email] volumes
All Cooks Illustrated---very informative
Any of The Beautiful Cookbook series
I could go on and on and on and on----all of my books are my favorites I must have a 1000+ books----good grief is right!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cookbook? by Roxanne 21 (I have TONS of cookb...)
I use Biba's Italian Kitchen alot and I've really learned quite a bit from it.
All the C@H magazines but the Perfect Pasta is a goodie
Guess I don't really have a favorite. Mostly a cookbook is a place to start and then I wind up cooking out of my head. LOL
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cookbook? by Roxanne 21 (I have TONS of cookb...)
If most-used is a clue, I have an old "In the Kitchen with Jackie" that I've consulted so often during the years. Jackie Olden was a local radio personality on L.A. radio, and someone who got thousands of phone calls over the years from cooks with questions. I think she was a popular caterer in the area. (We now have Melinda Lee who is also very popular.) Her recipes are usually simple and delicious, but she also has some unique recipes.

When it comes to 'reading' cookbooks, there are so many, but Julia Child is No. 1. I've also read and learned much from Jacques' Pepin's "Technique".

A really fun series that I've picked up at used book stores, garage sales, etc., are the books from Food Editors' of the nation's newspapers, and published by MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving). Each book is a different topic and really provide good pictures of regional favorites across the country.

James Beard's books, and Southern Living Cookbooks are ones I turn to often, as well.

Not a cookbook, but used very often is Sharon Herbst's "Food Lover's Companion".

Currently still reading "Culinary Artistry" and "The Flavor Bible" both by Dornenburg and Page -- and both as a result of reading these threads and others.
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cookbook? by farnfam (I use Biba's Italian...)
"Guess I don't really have a favorite. Mostly a cookbook is a place to start and then I wind up cooking out of my head."

I couldn't have said it better! I cook the same way most of the time, although a certain lovely lady on this forum convinced me to try a recipe as written the first time using it. After all, that could be the winner.

Anyway, favorite books that I refer to over and over are The Kitchen Companion, and more recently Culinary Artistry, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian, (I know, I know, but it's a terrific book)
Share a Recipe Cookbook, and Favorite Recipes from Famous New Orleans Restaurants.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."