Lost Recipes
  Re: (...)
Have you ever lost a favorite recipe and spent months or years looking for it and searching the net for something like it? I recently found an old box of recipes and found some that I thought were lost forever! You can't imagine my shock and surprise. I can't wait to make these again!

Actually, I have never tried this one, but will be testing it out this weekend. I'll let you know if it turns out like I remember.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Brooklyn House Spaghetti Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 pork chops
5 beef ribs
5 cans tomato sauce -- large
olive oil
1 can tomato paste -- large
3/4 cup Italian parsley -- chopped
1 stalk celery
3 green peppers -- quartered
3 large onions -- quartered
1 cup red wine
1 head garlic -- about 10 cloves; pressed
1 beef bouillon cube
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup oregano
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup basil
4 teaspoons thyme
salt and pepper -- to taste
red wine

Brown meat in olive oil. (Salt and pepper the meat.) Remove meat and brown tomato paste in drippings for about 5 minutes.

Add 2 cans of water and cook for 20 minutes. Add tomato sauce and 2 cans of water. Add meat back and add parsley.

Saute onions and add this, green peppers and whole celery stalk to the sauce. Cook for about 5 hours.

Remove green pepper, celery, and meat.

Shred meat and add back to sauce. Add cheese, wine, spices, and garlic.

Mix bouillon with 1 cup water and add to sauce.

Season with salt, red and black pepper. Cook for one hour.

Remove bay leaves before using.

Description:
"My family used to love visiting this restaurant when I was young. It was always a special treat. Before they closed down, a friend got this recipe from the little old Italian lady that worked the kitchen."

This recipe was shared with my mother many years ago. We used to have it all the time, but then the recipe was lost. When my mother called the widow of the author of the recipe, she said, "You know, Ann, you are the third person that lost their recipe and asked for this recipe. I tried to find my copy, but mine is gone, too." A couple of years ago, when I remember it and wanted to make it, I learned about this mystery. I spent months looking for it online, but never found it. We all thought it was gone forever until recently. Don't stick up your nose at the use of the little "Blue Box" until you try it...LOL!

Macaroni and Cheese Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 box macaroni and cheese -- prepared
1/2 onion -- chopped fine
1 stalk celery -- chopped fine
1/2 green pepper -- chopped fine
2 dill pickles -- chopped fine
1 cup mayonnaise -- must be Hellmann's
red pepper -- to taste
garlic salt -- to taste
black pepper -- to taste
salt -- to taste
1/2 pound shrimp -- coarsely chopped

Mix all together except shrimp. Fold in shrimp and chill. (Measurements are approximate. No measurements were given in the recipe.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Tuna or crab meat can be substituted for shrimp.

Finally, a recipe for primavera that a good friend shared with me. It used to be stapled to a bunch of other recipes from a Dairy Competition. This is another recipe I have spent years looking for something similar online, but never found one to match this one. Like so many things, we messed with it only to the point of playing with the veggies and adding seafood. The "sauce" was the best! I'm wondering if we may have added a little thyme as well.

Garden Picken' Pasta Primavera

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 medium squash -- sliced
3 medium zucchini -- sliced
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
10 ounces snow peas -- thawed if frozen
3 green onions -- chopped
1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1/2 pound mushrooms -- sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups cherry tomatoes -- cut in halves
1/2 cup parsley -- chopped
1/2 cup pecans -- coarsely chopped
1 pound spaghetti
1/2 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
2 tablespoons basil -- chopped
1 1/2 pounds shrimp -- or 2 pounds

In a large pot, in salted water, blanch squash, zucchini, broccoli, and peas for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside. (I don't think we used all the veggies when adding shrimp....just broccoli and snow peas.)

Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil in skillet over medium heat until onions are soft. Add tomatoes, parsley, and pecans. (We didn't use the pecans.) Cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Cook spaghetti by package directions; drain.

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. (This is where we cooked the shrimp.) Add heavy cream, Parmesan, and basil. Cook stirring until sauce is creamy. Remove from heat and add all vegetables, tossing gently to coat. Spoon over cooked spaghetti. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.

Description:
"A good friend shared this recipe with me years ago. We used to make it and add shrimp for the best primavera ever!"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Lost Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Have you ever lost a...)
The next time I make marinara/spaghetti sauce, that's the one I'm going to use Daphne.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by bjcotton (The next time I make...)
Oh Daphne, I know just how you feel finding these goodies - working on the latest projects I can't believe how many old recipes I also thought were lost! I even found a little red plastic recipe box that I started in, probably the 4th grade! What a great find that was.

Yours sound just right up my alley - as I so love trying old ones. I'm trying an old one (kind of) today. My Grandmother used to make an Orange Pie and I do have the recipe from my Aunt, but I can't for the life of me make it work. My neighbor, Fritzie, came to my rescue, she also had a relative that used to make one, it's a little different, but close enough, I'm trying it. fingers crossed that we both like the old ones as much as our memories do.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by cjs (Oh Daphne, I know ju...)
Yes, I know....it's after 1 am here. See the "While I wait...." thread to see why.

Now for the sauce. I've got another hour and a half....If I don't make it, I'll put it outside under the grill lid to chill (under 40 degrees). Either way, William is instructed to get it off the grill early tomorrow and put it on low again. When I get up, I'll discard the bell pepper and celery stalk and let it go until I'm ready to take it further. I can't tell you all what a labor of love this is....on so many levels!

AND I just tasted it....OMG! And the wine, spices and garlic have not been added yet! This is gonna be some good stuff! The intensity of the onion, bell pepper, and meats combine with all that tomato.....HEAVEN!

The recipe calls for a bouillon cube mixed with a cup of water, but I may deviate here. When I bake the meatballs, I'll have all that lovely "jus" to add. I'm thinking that's gonna be enough.

The point here is, there is a LOT of "gravy" in my pot! It made more than I expected and will not cook down as far as I had thought. I've got "gravy" for SEVERAL meals. So if you make this...take note! This is a recipe for a restaurant and has NOT been scaled down.....plan to freeze!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, I know....it's ...)
I hope you have lots of room in your freezer! When I froze mine (yes, it does make lots!!!), I froze some without the meatballs and sausage.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Lorraine (I hope you have lots...)
WOOOOO HOOOOOO! I'M FREE!!!!!!!!!

Well, for the next week, that is. I'm bumping this to the top because I'm testing the primavera recipe tonight to celebrate my liberation. I'll take pics and post the review later tonight....IF I'm able. I picked up a bottle of wine while at the store, and am having a glass now. Hey, it's 5 o'clock SOMEWHERE!

Hey, Bill, I picked up some lump crab at the seafood market and will be making our crab dip for an appy. I ALMOST picked up the gruyere, but since William LOVES Swiss so much, I decided not to...but one of these days!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (WOOOOO HOOOOOO! I'M...)
Welome to your freedom, Daphne!! Have fun and I sure hope the weather cooperates.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by cjs (Welome to your freed...)
Well, wine and photography don't mix...LOL! It's a shame the pictures didn't come out...maybe on the replay today for lunch. It looked like Spring on a plate!

It was just as good as I remember. It was a WONDERFUL dish for this time of year. I played with the veggies a little. I used broccoli, asparagus, snow peas, and baby yellow squash. Instead of mushrooms in the garlic/onion step, I put in the shrimp. Then I tossed in the blanched veggies, tomatoes, and basil just before the shrimp got done. YUM! It was a nice change from some of the heavier cream versions of a primavera I've had. They're good, too, but this was just lighter, allowing the veggies and shrimp to shine.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Well, wine and photo...)
Those are some good sounding recipes, Daphne. All copied and saved. Thanks for posting. Enjoy your break!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."