HURRAY! Look what I found!
  Re: (...)
When I was going down an aisle in the supermarket, yesterday, I almost got whiplash as the corner of my eye spotted the following:

[Image: red20rose20rice20paper2jh7.jpg]

For four years, I have lamented the fact that NO wrappers of ANY kind were available, here, for making lumpia, spring rolls, egg rolls, wonton, potstickers, gyoza, etc., but FINALLY at least SOMETHING has turned up. Of course, around here, there's no telling how LONG they will be available, so I bought four packages, for now, and if they work out well, I'll try to get a bunch more before they disappear.

These are the Vietnamese, "rice paper" wrappers, so they ARE different from the refrigerated, "fresh dough" wrappers one typically sees. These are usually dipped into water just prior to use, although I like one suggestion I have read that suggested spraying them with a light mist of water in order to be able to control it better.

Any of you have experience with this type of wrapper?

P.S.: The store even had sweet chili sauce, but today I'll be making another batch of that one from the recipe I posted earlier, so I didn't bother getting any of the bottled sauce.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: HURRAY! Look what I found! by labradors (When I was going dow...)
WONDERFUL!!!! You're going to have so much fun. Here's one I did for a party using Lobster, but at the time I made them I was thinking any firm white fish would be really good too. The flavors are great.

* Exported from MasterCook *

LOBSTER-MANGO SPRING ROLL WITH APRICOT VINAIGRETTE

1 cooked lobster tail from a 1 1/2 - 2-lb. lobster
1/2 cucumber -- peeled
1 ripe mango
4 to 8-inch round dried rice paper sheets (or butter lettuce leaves) -- ¥
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 T. Apricot Vinaigrette (see recipe) -- (3 to 4)

Serves 12 - one bite (makes 4 spring rolls)

Remove the lobster meat from the shell in one piece & cut the meat lengthwise into quarters.
Trim each piece so that it is about 4" long.
Pull out the digestive tract if it's present.

Remove the seeds from the cuc w/a small spoon.
Discard the seeds.
Cut 4 strips from the cuc, each one about 1/3" thick and 4" long, so that they match the lobster strips.
Make the strips as even as possible. Save any extra cuc for another use.

Peel skin from the mango w/peeler.
Slice the flesh to the pit, squaring it as much as you can.
Cut 4 strips from the mango to match the cuc strips.
Make the strips as even as possible.
Save extra for another use.

Fill a large, shallow bowl with warm water and spread a lint-free dish towel on a work surface.

One at a time, drop the rice paper in the water till all are submerged.
Soak for 3 minutes or till they are completely softened and pliable.
Life the sheets out of the water and spread them out on the dish towel to drain, making sure they don't overlap.

Arrange a strip of each - lobster, cuc, and mango across the bottom third of the wrapper. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Fold the wrapper over the filling and roll into a tight cylinder up to the halfway mark.
Fold in the two sides and continue to roll till sealed.
Place the roll on a flat plate, seam side down.
Repeat to make 3 more rolls. Allow to rest for a few minutes to seal completely.

To serve, cut the rolls on the bias into thirds. (for Camaraderie, cut in fourths)
Spoon some vinaigrette on a small plate and set a slice on top of the sauce, cut side down. Or, slice the spring rolls into smaller pieces and serve on small plates w/a small ramekin of vinaigrette for dipping.

Can make up to 3 hours ahead

-----

Vietnamese Spring Rolls
makes 2

2 rice paper wrappers - 6"
2 California Fresh Eggs
OR
3 1/2 ounces liquid or frozen whole egg product
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon jalapeño pepper -- minced
1 tablespoon green onions -- chopped
1 teaspoon cilantro -- minced
1 pinch bean sprouts
2 red pepper strips -- pre-blanched
4 pea pods -- pre-blanched
2 sprigs mint leaves
2 lettuce leaves

DIPPING SAUCE
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 garlic clove -- crushed
2 teaspoons crushed red peppers
1 green onion -- chopped

Immerse rice paper sheets in warm water for 30 seconds to soften. Drain.

To order, scramble eggs with soy sauce, jalapeños and green onions.

Divide egg mixture between the two wrappers.

Add cilantro and sprouts.

Roll tortilla style and tuck in pepper strips and pea pods for garnish.

Present each spring roll with a spring of mint on a lettuce leaf.

Serve with dipping sauce.

NOTES : Rich with contrast, these spring rolls combine east-west flavors and complimentary textures. Soft rice paper wrappers are filled with scrambled eggs seasoned with soy sauce and accented with red peppers and snow peas. To eat, the roll is wrapped in lettuce with the mint garnish and dipped in a zingy red pepper sauce.

----

and lastly -

Cha Gio (Vietnamese Spring Rolls)

2 ounces cellophane noodles
1 pound lean ground pork
1 large onion
2 tablespoons tree ears dried mushrooms (nam meo)
3 garlic cloves -- finely chopped
8 ounces crab meat
4 ounces shrimp -- shelled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon pepper
20 sheets dried rice paper (banh trang)
4 eggs -- beaten
2 cups peanut oil for frying

Soak noodles in warm water for 20 minutes and cut into 1-inch lengths. Soak Tree Ear in warm water for 30 minutes, drain and finely chop.

Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Cut a round rice paper sheet into quarters. Place the cut rice paper on a flat surface. With a pastry brush, paint beaten egg over the entire surface of the rice paper piece. Before filling, wait for the egg mixture to take effect, softening the wrappers; this take about 2 minutes. When you become adept at this, you can work on several wrappers at a time. When the wrapper looks soft and transparent, place about one teaspoon of filling near the curved side, in the shape of a rectangle. Fold the side over to enclose the filling and continue to roll.

After filling all the wrappers, pour the oil into a large frying pan, put the spring rolls into the cold oil, turn the heat to moderate, and fry for 20 to 30 minutes until a lovely golden brown. (This is a special method of keeping spring rolls crisp.)

Serving Ideas : Serve with lettuce, cilantro, mint and nuoc cham

NOTES : The Vietnamese spring rolls are much smaller and more crisp than the Chinese version. Unlike the Chinese spring rolls, they can be rolled in the morning, then covered and refrigerated for several hours before cooking. After cooking they will keep nice and crisp
in 150-degree oven for up to 3 hours.

-------

If you'll notice in the 'method' using cold oil to start the wraps in.....same principle as my Cold Oil Chicken!!! (love it, you sceptics ) (not you, Labs. )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Very cool, labs! Keep us posted on all the special goodies you are making. I love spring rolls, just never make them.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: HURRAY! Look what I found! by cjs (WONDERFUL!!!! You're...)
You sure are going to have fun! I use a filling of julienned carrots and celery. You can add cilantro leaves, cooked shrimp, bean sprouts, cellophane noodles, whatever you have. Roll them up, slice in half on the diagonal, and dip in sauce.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
I've used these Labs. They are VERY easy to use. I was surprised at how strong they are, even once they are wet. Very fun to work with. You are going to have a ball!

Good for you! Have fun!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: HURRAY! Look what I found! by luvnit (I've used these Labs...)
Thanks, everyone. Between these ideas and the information I've received from the Filipino forum (with more from them on the way), I should have a blast once I get started!
  Re: Re: HURRAY! Look what I found! by labradors (Thanks, everyone. B...)
Here's the information I've received from the Filipino forum, so far.

Lumpia Wrapper

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup corn or tapioca starch
  • 1 egg
  • 2-3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Instructions:
  1. Beat the egg in a mixing bowl; add water, mix to blend.
  2. Add flour, starch and salt. mix well to blend.
  3. Heat at medium-low a 10" non-stick fry pan.
  4. Pour 1/3 cup of the batter into the pan; swirling the pan to evenly distribute the batter at the bottom of the pan.
  5. Cook the batter for about 2 minutes or until the crepe [wrapper] pulls away from the sides of the pan.
  6. Flip over the crepe to cook the other side for about a 1 minute or so.
Note:
  • Stir [to blend] the batter each time before pouring batter into the pan. The batter has a tendency to sink and the water rise to the top.

Additional information:
See also the following YouTube videos:

How to make wrapper
How to cook lumpia

Someone else has also said he'd post his wife's recipes for the filling and the dipping sauce tomorrow.
  Re: Re: HURRAY! Look what I found! by labradors (Here's the informati...)
Very interesting. Looks pretty easy too. Let us know how it works out.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: HURRAY! Look what I found! by luvnit (Very interesting. L...)
I hope this stays at the top so I can look more carefully tomorrow!! does look interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: HURRAY! Look what I found! by cjs (I hope this stays at...)
Quote:

I hope this stays at the top so I can look more carefully tomorrow!! does look interesting.

Why not just use the "reminder" feature?