Dinner Review Menu- February 23, 2009
  Re: (...)
Review Date: February 23, 2009....my actual birthday!

Okay, thanks to Jean, here's the recipes. Unless someone comes up with something else to serve with this...this is it. Personally, I may add some sauteed green beans or roasted asparagus.....but nothing for review. So feel free to add what you want.

I can't wait to try couscous!

Couscous with Peas
(Cuisine at home, October 2006, Issue 59, p. 31)

Makes: 3 Cups Total Time: 10 Minutes Rating: Easy

Bring to Boil; Stir in:
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 t. kosher salt
1 1/2 cups dry couscous
1 cup frozen peas

Bring broth and salt to a boil; stir in the couscous and peas. Cover, remove from heat, and let steam for 5 minutes.

---

Meatball Kebabs with Paprikash Sauce
(Cuisine at home, October 2006, Issue 59, p. 31)

Makes: 18–24 Meatballs, 3 Cups Sauce Total Time: 1 Hour Rating: Easy

For the Meatballs—
Combine; Shape:
1 1/2 lb. ground chuck
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 t. garlic, minced
1 t. each kosher salt, ground coriander, ground cumin, red pepper flakes, black pepper
1/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Brown in; Skewer:
2 T. olive oil

For the Sauce—
Sweat; Add:
2 cups red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 cup onion, sliced
2 T. sweet paprika
1 T. garlic, minced

Deglaze with; Off Heat, Stir in:
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Salt to taste
1/2 cup sour cream

Garnish with:
Halved kalamata olives, chopped fresh parsley, and lemon wedges

Related Recipes:

Couscous with Peas

Combine ingredients (except the oil) for meatballs, then shape into 2" balls using a scoop or spoons.

Brown meatballs in batches in oil over medium-high heat in a nonstick saute pan coated with nonstick spray. Saute 5–8 minutes (do not cook through), transfer to a plate, and cool. Thread 3 meatballs on 6"-long skewers and set aside.

Sweat the peppers and onion for the sauce over medium heat in the same pan used for the meatballs (add more oil if needed). Cook until softened, 8–10 minutes; add paprika and garlic, and cook 2 minutes, stirring often.

Deglaze with wine and simmer until reduced by half, 2–3 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes, and salt; cook 15–20 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. Return skewers to the pan, cover, and simmer until meatballs are cooked, 4–5 minutes. Transfer skewers to a plate. Off heat, stir the sour cream into the sauce until incorporated.

Garnish with olives, parsley, and lemon. Shown with Couscous with Peas

Regarding a dessert, feel free to have something or not. I'm thinking of doing a chocolate cake "bowl"....probably using Jean's cake from the Double the Yum cake. It has the texture I think will work best. I'll put additional cake in a cake pan and tear it to layer with ice cream, chocolate sauce, and whipped cream....topped with cherries, of course! If anybody has a (semi sweet or bitter sweet) chocolate sauce they want to share, I'd love to hear it. I'm looking for a thick sauce...I'm shooting for something along the lines of a dessert served at TGIF...sort of a trifle in it's own cake bowl!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Dinner Review Menu- February 23, 2009 by Gourmet_Mom (Review Date: Februar...)
Sounds great. I'll start off with a suggestion, though, for those who are open to an ingredient change (even though it's not something I'll be able to get). In particular, given everything else in the meatballs, and the fact that you're serving it with couscous, the recipe just cries out for ground lamb, instead of ground beef. If I could get lamb (and I may just try to do so), that is most certainly what I would use. YUM!

Quote:

I can't wait to try couscous!

You'll love it. It's really just a very tiny pasta (not kidding), but it has wonderful characteristics all its own. Unfortunately, I can't get couscous here (would have it regularly, with some harissa, if I could), but this dish would be good with marmahon (something you probably can't get in the States), which is much larger (somewhere between a BB and a pea).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: My Birthday Dinner Review by labradors (Sounds great. I'll ...)
Daphne, we love couscous! I buy the whole wheat version at the local food co-op and my favorite way to make it is just as your recipe directs-- with veggie or chicken broth to flavor the cooking water, and some sort of vegetable. It's also great to serve "saucy" food on top of because it absorbs the flavor of the sauce. I think you'll enjoy it...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: My Birthday Dinner Review by foodfiend (Daphne, we love cous...)
Labs, I'm so glad I chose this one. So often, you can't join because of the ingredients. I agree....I was surprised it was made with beef. I almost overlooked it because of that. If I can get some lamb, I may do a half and half. We have never had lamb, so this may be a great way to introduce it.

Vicci, thanks for the encouragement. I'm getting really excited about it. The flavors and ingredients are just what I need to get me out of the rut I've been in lately...new and exciting!

Oddly, I was surprised to learn that the kids, when given the choices, agreed with their dad on this one. DD boyfriend is excited also. He loves to cook and enjoys new ideas. The fact that I may actually serve this on my birthday, a Monday, he's looking forward to joining us. I may be late on my review, but to have all my kids at my house, around my table on my birthday will be the bests present ever!

Sorry about the title change. I hope it sticks. I realized the title I HAD was misleading...especially to new people who may want to participate.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review Menu- February 23, 2009 by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, I'm so glad I ...)
Thanks for picking this one! I haven't participated in a while and am excited about this one, anything paprika and I am in! The fact that it is from an issue I don't have, makes it even better. Yippee skippee.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Dinner Review Menu- February 23, 2009 by Gourmet_Mom (Review Date: Februar...)
This looks great. I love Chicken paprikash, so I am sure this will be a big hit with the hubby since that is a favorite of his.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner Review Menu- February 23, 2009 by luvnit (This looks great. I ...)
Good choice, I'm looking forward to this one also. Hmmmmm, Yum Yum cake....I could try out my new 'bowl' pans and stick one in the freezer for later, probably still have leftovers for another small cake.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Review Menu- February 23, 2009 by luvnit (This looks great. I ...)
I'm in, this sounds good, although I have to agree with Rob that ground lamb would be great. But, since the whole idea is to review the original recipe, I'll just make note of that for next time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner Review Menu- February 23, 2009 by Mare749 (I'm in, this sounds ...)
I will try to be in as well-----I sort of by-passed this recipe first go around.......not a fan of couscous so will come up with another plan on that one.

That's the beauty of these dinner parties---trying meals we would not ordinarily make...sounds like fun, Daphne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner Review Menu- February 23, 2009 by Roxanne 21 (I will try to be in ...)
Just to let you know, I am SO in on this one - we had it last night and now I have to keep my mouth shut.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!