Clam chowder - best ever
  Re: (...)
I tried this clam chowder recipe I found on another forum. Both my wife and I agreed that it was the best we've ever had. I cut the recipe in half as I was only cooking for two and we didn't get through half of it. I only deviated from the original by adding a dozen freshly steamed clams that had been harvested yesterday. Taste testing in the end was perfect so no extra pepper nor any salt was added.

8 slices thick sliced bacon, diced fine
1 ½ large onion, diced
1 ½ c celery, diced
1 ½ t Old Bay Seasoning, optional
½ t ground black pepper
1 ½ t tarragon
1 ½ t thyme
1 ½ t garlic, minced
2 # sized potatoes, peeled, and cubed into half inch cubes
33 oz (total) canned chopped sea clams with the juice (around here, that's about 6 cans)
2 8 oz bottles of Clam Juice
1 pt heavy cream
1 pt half and half
½ c corn starch mixed with ½ c water
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium-high until the bacon starts to crisp, and you see lots of color and brown bits in the pan. At this time, add the onions, celery, garlic, pepper, thyme, tarragon, and Old Bay seasoning, if desired. When the onions are translucent and slightly caramelized, add the clams, juice, and potatoes; adding a little water if needed to cover the potatoes. Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream, half-and-half, and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch/water slurry and bring back to a boil to tighten the chowder. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
NOTES: This is one I don’t really recommend that you freeze for later use. The potatoes will turn mealy in texture after you thaw and reheat the soup.
  Re: Clam chowder - best ever by buzzard767 (I tried this clam ch...)
This sounds divine! I've been craving seafood lately, so this is a definite. I hope to do a clam bake soon and order extra clams and save my "juice". Actually, if I add extra potatoes and onions to the pot, I'll have it mostly done.

Thanks! I like the seasonings in this one!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Clam chowder - best ever by Gourmet_Mom (This sounds divine! ...)
I'm new to adding tarragon to my clam chowder, but we really like it. Have two large cans of clams from Cash & Carry, so I can try this one very soon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Clam chowder - best ever by cjs (I'm new to adding ta...)
Right up my seafood alley, buzz-----interesting recipe for me to try---copied and printed. THANKS!

Tarragon is a difference for sure----canned clams are abundant here but I will have to fudge the clam juice---no problem!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Clam chowder - best ever by Roxanne 21 (Right up my seafood ...)
Quote:

Right up my seafood alley, buzz-----interesting recipe for me to try---copied and printed. THANKS!

Tarragon is a difference for sure----canned clams are abundant here but I will have to fudge the clam juice---no problem!!

There are two brands of clam juice in the local Publix Supermarket. If you weren't so darn far away I'd toss you a couple. Be sure and use the juice included with the canned clams.

I'm going to start using tarragon on the local fish and see if it improves the taste.

Buzz
  Re: Re: Clam chowder - best ever by buzzard767 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Buzz, I do a grilled or roasted salmon with a sprinkling of lemon juice, brown sugar and topped with tarragon leaves that is a great combination.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Clam chowder - best ever by cjs (Buzz, I do a grilled...)
Thanks for the idea, Jean. I' going to try that the next time I do salmon. Funny, I have a pine nut dressing made with tarragon and I always have that when we have salmon because the flavors compliment each other so well. I'm surprised I didn't think of it.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Clam chowder - best ever by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the idea,...)
uh, and what would be in the pine nut w/tarragon dressing?????
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Clam chowder - best ever by cjs (uh, and what would b...)
I think I've shared this, but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle. I had a similar salad someone served at a dinner party, but she said it was not quite what she was trying to replicate. I liked it so well...hey, pine nuts, what's not to love. I went on a mission to find one I liked. This is MY favorite salad.

Jean, this is the one I am doomed to burn the pine nuts. It's become a family joke. I now buy in bulk so I have extra on hand.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spinach Salad With Pine Nut Dressing

Recipe By :Jo Merrill
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2/3 cup pine nuts (pignolia) -- or slivered almonds
7 tablespoons olive oil -- or salad oil
2 1/2 tablespoons wine vinegar (I use red or white...whatever is on hand)
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel* (I usually squeeze some of the juice in there also.)
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon -- I use an equal amount of fresh in season
1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach -- washed and stems removed

*NOTE: I don't measure these anymore. I just eyeball it. A little more doesn't hurt the flavor to me.

Spread pine nuts in a shallow baking pan and toast in a 350 degree oven, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 5-8 minutes; let cool.

In a bowl, combine pine nuts, oil, vinegar, nutmeg, lemon peel, and tarragon. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or until the next day.

To serve, select large leaves from the spinach and use to line 8 salad plates.

Cut remaining leaves into thin slivers; mound on plates.

Stir dressing to blend then drizzle over salads.

Season to taste with salt.

Description:
"Tossed with toasted pine nuts and a hint of lemon, fresh spinach takes on a Mediterranean flavor. This is my favorite salad!"
Source:
"Recipe from Sunset All Time Favorite Recipes"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/salads/10/rec1075.html"
Daphne
  Re: Re: Clam chowder - best ever by Gourmet_Mom (I think I've shared ...)
Looks good - thanks Dapnne.
www.achefsjourney.com