Any cilantro haters out there?
  Re: (...)
My son-in-law is among a small percent of the population that tastes something more than most of us, and those few really, really, really hate cilantro.

I actually heard a program on NPR a few months ago, where someone had done some research and these folks have a reaction that I don't have. I love cilantro.

Sally
  Re: Any cilantro haters out there? by lxxf (My son-in-law is amo...)
I love cilantro too. In fact, I even like to rub the stems on my neck for the scent. How sad for your son in law. If that is the only thing he doesn't like, count your blessings. Mine doesn't like onions, mushrooms, and peppers.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Any cilantro haters out there? by chef_Tab (I love cilantro too....)
I know I'll be in the minority here, but I used to HATE cilantro. But for good reason. My first experience with cilantro was when a friend's husband wanted to bring his salsa to a dinner party. He was so proud of his homegrown tomatoes. When he served it, the only thing I could taste was "soap". Now I realize that since he loved his alcohol and was "toasted" when he made it, he had put WAY too much in there. That or he REALLY LOVED cilantro. For newbies, the other guests hated the salsa. And I refused to cook anything with cilantro for years.

Last year, we had a Review that included cilantro. The Thai chicken wraps included a small amount of cilantro and Thai red curry paste...one ingredient I had previously hated and one I had never experienced. Thanks to the support of my forum family, I tried it. This is now one of our favorite things to have on a hot summer day. I now include cilantro in a lot of other recipes, without giving it a second thought. Actually, there is usually some cilantro in my veggie bin and I will probably plant some this year. Thanks you guys.

This is one reason I was adamant that the dinner reviews continue. I would have never tried this lovely herb again, if not for these reviews.

Okay, so that sounded more like a testimonial, and I actually got a little choked up, but you get the picture.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Any cilantro haters out there? by lxxf (My son-in-law is amo...)
I live on the stuff. I made Fish Tacos and Mexican Cole Slaw yesterday with tons of cilantro. See my Chew On This blog. Cilantro is one of those herbs you hate or love. No middle ground. Lime and cilantro are about the best combination ever.
  Re: Re: Any cilantro haters out there? by DramaQueen (I live on the stuff....)
I'm with DQ on this. If you don't like cilantro, garlic, or cumin, they don't bother coming to my house to eat!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Any cilantro haters out there? by labradors (I'm with DQ on this....)
Funny you mention cumin. I discovered this WONDERFUL spice a few year ago when I tried a low fat grilled chicken recipe that has you marinate legs and thighs in a buttermilk mixture including cumin. I fell in love.

As a matter of fact...I veered from my usual and messed with a new recipe tonight and added cumin to my buttermilk mix for my chicken batter. LOVE the stuff...I buy that in bulk now.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Any cilantro haters out there? by Gourmet_Mom (Funny you mention cu...)
I will eat it if I have to, but I really don't like it. I have always thought it tasted like dish soap. ( I remember that as a kid). I'm learning to eat it, but I doubt I will ever like it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Any cilantro haters out there? by Lorraine (I will eat it if I h...)
I love it! The stuff grows like a weed around here in the summer and I put it in almost everything. Thai spring rolls with plenty of cilantro, basil, and mint-- heaven!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Any cilantro haters out there? by foodfiend (I love it! The stuf...)
Now mint is one I can't wrap my brain around using in cooking....baking yes, but not cooking. But then I haven't tried lamb yet either, so.............
Daphne
  Re: Re: Any cilantro haters out there? by Gourmet_Mom (Now mint is one I ca...)
I LOVE both cilantro and mint. Cilantro is used in many Venezuelan dishes such as a local soup called sancocho or hervido, which can be made from hen (not chicken, beef or pork, or a combination of any or all of them (then it's called cruzado), plus lots of root vegetables such as cassava and others that I haven't seen in the US. Without cilantro it wouldn't be the same.

As for mint or spearmint, Daphne you might like a Lebanese salad called fatoush (sp?)which is just a lettuce, diced tomato and cuke salad (some use bell pepper) to which you add chopped mint, parsley and cilantro, olive oil, ground cumin and lemon juice, s&p and top with fried strips of pita flat bread. Very simple, but tasty and refreshing. Without mint is just another salad.
Marina