Oven Fried Chicken Smothered in Onion Gravy
  Re: (...)
William has asked that I never make this again. He's afraid it will kill him...LOL! It was that good. But I'll have to admit, I made a few changes due to time constraint. Here goes:

Changes:

-I only brined it for 30 minutes. Next time I will brine for the whole time....only because I know it will be that much more tender. (If that's possible.)
-My baking pan was not large enough...the gravy smothered the chicken too soon and all pieces would have been much more crispy.
-I added a dash or two of cumin to the egg/milk mixture.
-I did not do the whole egg white thing, but if the "chemistry" is there, it will be even better. I just used whole eggs.

Recommendations:
-Brine longer
-Keep the cumin
-Try the egg white mixture for a crustier chicken
-Use a larger pan...I'll use my sheet pan next time.

The chicken really did fry and form a crust, even though I didn't use the egg white mix. This is exciting, because I LOVE fried chicken with a crust. Having that without the skin is a BIG PLUS for me. The gravy was spectacular. I used the flour leftover from doing the chicken for the onions.

I served this over polenta (realized I was out of regular rice at the last minute, but it worked out) with a side of French Style Green Beans. THIS WAS GREAT!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Oven Fried Chicken Smothered in Onion Gravy by Gourmet_Mom (William has asked th...)
And just where was this recipe located? I can't fry chicken worth a darned!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Oven Fried Chicken Smothered in Onion Gravy by Gourmet_Mom (William has asked th...)
This sounds really good, but doesn't look like it's "legal" for my 1500 calories/day regimen.
  Re: Re: Oven Fried Chicken Smothered in Onion Gravy by HomeCulinarian (This sounds really g...)
Sorry, it's Issue 37; pages 20-21.

Jeanette, I think you're right about the gravy part, but you may want to try this one, if only for the Oven Fried Chicken part. They actually fried up with crust, even with out the skin. This one may work to ease my fried food cravings!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Oven Fried Chicken Smothered in Onion Gravy by Gourmet_Mom (Sorry, it's Issue 37...)
Here's another coating you might like to try for oven fried chicken, Jeanette. It's great even with skinless pieces. and it's good hot or cold.

flour/egg white/and this coating -

1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- grated
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornflakes -- crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

I use this coating on chicken or catfish - both oven fried.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
My recipes don't go back this far. My issues start in the 40's. Perhaps some kind-hearted samaritan will take pity on me and post the recipe.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Oven Fried Chicken Smothered in Onion Gravy by luvnit (My recipes don't go ...)
Quote:

My issues start in the 40's.

The 40s? The magazine didn't start publication until the end of the 90s!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Oven Fried Chicken Smothered in Onion Gravy by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here's the Oven Fried Chicken, but I couldn't find one with the "Smothered in Onion Gravy." I'll check for just the gravy.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Oven Fried Chicken Smothered in Onion Gravy by bjcotton (Here's the Oven Frie...)
Billy---HELLO!!!!! The recipe did not come through----please try again???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Oven Fried Chicken Smothered in Onion Gravy by Roxanne 21 (Billy---HELLO!!!!! ...)
Quote:

Billy---HELLO!!!!! The recipe did not come through----please try again???

Maybe he was only offering you a piece of the chicken.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?