Cubangirl...Happy Birthday!
  Re: (...)
I know you are new here, but I wanted to make another extension of family and fellowship. Sorry this is late, but....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cubangirl...Happy Birthday! by Gourmet_Mom (I know you are new h...)
Happy Birthday, Cubangirl! Hope you had a wonderful day. Please come back and tell us all about it. We are always happy to extend our cooking family!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Cubangirl...Happy Birthday! by Gourmet_Mom (I know you are new h...)
Happy Happy Happy! Hope you have a wonderful day

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Cubangirl...Happy Birthday! by pjcooks (Happy Happy Happy! ...)
Thanks it was a good day. Started by making huge pot of Marcella Hazan's minestrone from her Essentials book. It turned out great will be having it later in the week since we went out to dinner.
  Re: Re: Cubangirl...Happy Birthday! by Cubangirl (Thanks it was a good...)
Minestrone from a cubana? Why not lechon asado?

Glad you had a good birthday!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cubangirl...Happy Birthday! by labradors (Minestrone from a [i...)
Happy Birthday, Cuban Girl. Love minestrone! Would you share your recipe?
  Re: Re: Cubangirl...Happy Birthday! by HomeCulinarian (Happy Birthday, Cuba...)
Happy late b'day, Cubangirl - glad you had a good one. "Marcella Hazan's minestrone" - that has to be a tasty one!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cubangirl...Happy Birthday! by cjs (Happy late b'day, C...)
I have that book and have been meaning to get back to it. I'll check that one out.

Jeanette, if Cubangirl doesn't get to it before then, I'll type it up this weekend. I'm in the middle of some "other reading" at the moment.

BTW...I'm glad you had a nice day, Cubangirl! How about telling us what you ate for dinner. Sometimes I miss going out. I had hoped to go out Saturday night in Charleston, but that trip is on hold.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cubangirl...Happy Birthday! by Gourmet_Mom (I have that book and...)
Thanks again for your greetings. It makes me feel were welcome. Lechon Asado is my son's favorite birthday meal and I usually make it for him. I am going to Miami in a couple of weeks and I will be having it while there. I am happy to share my adaptation of the Minestrone recipe. I used Hazan's method and proportions from Essentials of Italian Cooking to make the soup, but made some changes after reading CIs and CAHs recipes. I also used the meat broth from her book in the soup. I scaled it using my new Living Cookbook software to use 8 cups of broth, hence the weird serving amount.
MINESTRONE ALLA ROMAGNOLA (10.7 servings)

While one vegetable is cooking, you can peel and cut up another.
Minestrone, unlike most cooked vegetable preparations, is even better when reheated the following day. It will keep up to a week in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.

1 5/8 lb fresh unpeeled zucchini, ends trimmed and diced
4 oz pancetta (or 2 ounces blanched bacon)
10 3/4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
4 1/8 Tbs butter
1 5/8 cup onion sliced very thin one large onion
3 large garlic cloves minced
1 tsp. Kosher salt divided
1 5/8 cup diced carrots, about 4 medium
1 5/8 cup diced celery, about 5
2 5/8 cup peeled, diced potatoes, about 4 medium Russets
1 5/8 oz fresh green beans, topped and cut into small pieces
4 1/8 cup shredded cabbage, savoy or regular green about 1/2 large head
8 cup homemade beef broth or 2 cups canned beef broth + 4 cups water
14 1/4 Tbs Italian canned plum tomatoes with their juice, about 1/3 large can
1 5/8 crust form 1-2 lb piece of parmigiano-reggiano carefully scrapped clean
Salt
2 1/8 cup canned cannellini beans (2 14.4 oz cans) drained and rinsed OR 1 cup
dried white kidney beans, pre-cooked, not just soaked, for this
recipe)
7 1/8 Tbs freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese

1. Soak the zucchini in a large bowl filled with cold water for at least 20 minutes, then rinse them clean of any remaining grit under cold running water, rubbing briskly with your hands or a rough cloth to remove any grit embedded in the skin, Trim both ends of the zucchini and dice fine.

2. Sauté pancetta in 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a 8-quart stockpot crisp, about 7 minutes.

3. Choose a 8-quart stockpot or one that can comfortably accommodate all the ingredients. Put in the rest of the oil, butter, and sliced onion and turn on the heat to medium/low. Cook the onion in the uncovered pot until it wilts and becomes colored a pale gold, but no darker, adding ¼ tsp salt toward the end. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

4. The diced vegetables are to be added sequentially, not just plopped into the pot. First, add the diced carrots, and cook for 2 -3 minutes, stirring once or twice. Next add the diced celery and do the same. Then do the same with the potatoes adding another ¼ tsp salt.

5. While the carrots, celery and potatoes are cooking, soak the green beans in cold water, rinse, snap off both ends and dice them. Add the diced the green beans and when they 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the zucchini with another ¼ tsp salt. Continue to give all the ingredients an occasional stir and after another few minutes, add the shredded cabbage, and continue to cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.

6. Add the broth, the optional cheese crust and the tomatoes with their juice. At this point add another ¼ tsp of salt. How much you need will depend on how much your stock has in it, but be sparing because you can add more when it's cooked down.

7. Stir thoroughly, cover the pot, and lower the heat so the contents are cooking at a gentle simmer.

8. After 2-1/2 hours, added the canned drained cannellini beans. Then cook for at least another 30 minutes. This soup should be rather thick, but if it gets too thick while cooking, it can be thinned with a little of the homemade broth or if using canned, water.

9. When it's done, turn off the heat, remove the parmesan crust and swirl in the grated cheese. Taste and correct for salt. Improves with reheating.

Preparation Time:45 minutes Cooking Time:3 hours Total Time:3 hours 45 minutes

The soup will be thick. Hope you like it as much as we do.
  Re: Re: Cubangirl...Happy Birthday! by Cubangirl (Thanks again for you...)
This sounds really good and quite a bit different from my MIL's I usually make. Think I'll give it a try but I would want to eliminate some of oil and butter. Do you think that would still taste almost as good?