Ginger steamed mangrove snapper
  Re: (...)
Ginger steamed mangrove snapper

This was last nights dinner. I used mangrove snapper that I caught out in the Gulf a few weeks ago. Normally I use red snapper but any firm white fleshed fish will do. I also double up on the sherry.

Ingredients
fish fillets
fresh ginger, cut into slivers, divided
garlic cloves , minced
scallions, cut into slivers
a few sprigs cilantro
salt
black pepper
1 tsp sherry
2 tbs low-sodium soy sauce
3 tbs olive oil

Preparation
Rub fish thoroughly with salt and black pepper. Pour sherry over fish, sprinkle garlic, and 1/2 of the ginger slivers on top.

Place fish in a steamer and steam for 15 minutes. Remove, place on plate and top with scallions, cilantro, and remaining ginger.

Heat olive oil in a sauce pan until it starts to sizzle. Pour over top of fish.
Add soy sauce and serve. Edit: I broke a glass plate once so now place the fish in a metal pan, pour the oil, then transfer to dinner plate.

Fillets

[Image: snapper01.jpg]

Instead of a ginger julienne I sliced thin sheets for a change of pace.

[Image: snapper02.jpg]

Bad picture I know. I used a small Lodge cast iron pot for heating the olive oil to a point where it was just short of beginning to smoke. For this meal I did not add the extra ginger.

[Image: snapper03.jpg]

Dinner

[Image: snapper04.jpg]
  Re: Ginger steamed mangrove snapper by buzzard767 (Ginger steamed mangr...)
Sounds really good! Thanks for sharing.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Ginger steamed mangrove snapper by esgunn (Sounds really good! ...)
That sounds really good! Are those braised onions on the plate between the fish and the potatoes?
  Re: Re: Ginger steamed mangrove snapper by HomeCulinarian (That sounds really g...)
Quote:

That sounds really good! Are those braised onions on the plate between the fish and the potatoes?

Ohh, that sounds good, but no, just a couple of fingerling potatoes I tossed into the mix. There is some tarragon in the first pic that I forgot to mention.
Buzz

I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.