Microwave Oven Smells
  Re: (...)
Crap.

I reheated garlic in the microwave and it burned out the wazoo. Now it stinks and not in a good garlicky kind of way.

How do I get the smell out?

Help!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Microwave Oven Smells by BarbaraS (Crap.[br][br]I rehea...)
Hi, Barbara, I've used water and lemon juice, put in a microsafe bowl and boil away. Usually takes care of it.

Doncha hate it when that happens?

PJ

Vinegar and water can work, too.
PJ
  Re: Re: Microwave Oven Smells by pjcooks (Hi, Barbara, I've us...)
Yup, good call PJ. Been there, done that. It works. I just squeeze out half a lemon into a bowl of water, then toss the lemon in there, too. If you turn it on for a couple minutes, then let it sit for about 5 minutes without opening the door, you can wipe away most grime and get rid of smells. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it. I tried the vinegar also, but it didn't work nearly as well as the lemon....at least with the grime. I think I finally got the boys trained to cover a dish now, but there was a time......
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Microwave Oven Smells by Gourmet_Mom (Yup, good call PJ. ...)
What was that about old dogs and new tricks? After all these years my BIL still can't remember to cover things in the Micro. I've left paper towels and paper plates in the Micro, left notes on the door...maybe I'll just unplug it and when he tells me it won't work I'll tell him to cover his dish and plug it in...might work once.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Microwave Oven Smells by bjcotton (What was that about ...)
ROFLOL! Go get him Billy....LOL! You're right, might work once.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Microwave Oven Smells by Gourmet_Mom (ROFLOL! Go get him ...)
Kind of off topic, but it reminds me of my father years ago, when I was a child, he would always take the lid off the pan when making popcorn, because he was so fascinated. Decades later we bought him a see-through popper, he just loved to watch the corn pop.

Sally
  Re: Re: Microwave Oven Smells by lxxf (Kind of off topic, b...)
Sorry to hijack your thread Barbara, but I just love little stories like this.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Microwave Oven Smells by bjcotton (Sorry to hijack your...)
(me too, Billy) o.k. back to smelly garlic....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Microwave Oven Smells by lxxf (Kind of off topic, b...)
Quote:

Kind of off topic, but it reminds me of my father years ago, when I was a child, he would always take the lid off the pan when making popcorn, because he was so fascinated. Decades later we bought him a see-through popper, he just loved to watch the corn pop.

Sally

LMAO!!! That's too funny!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Microwave Oven Smells by bjcotton (What was that about ...)
Quote:

...maybe I'll just unplug it and when he tells me it won't work I'll tell him to cover his dish and plug it in...might work once.

That is too funny Billy! I had to laugh outloud at that one.

Back to garlic...

Actually my first thought was lemon. Sounds like your smell may be stubborn and linger for a few days. But I would boil some lemon in there every day or two until it's gone. If I were you I'd even try setting a dish of dry coffee grounds in there. DON'T cook them. Just sent them in there overnight AFTER doing the lemon thing.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura