Babbo's and NYC!!!
  Re: (...)
A ball!!! Great City--I'll go back again.

Tues.--Arrived in a blizzard in Newark--cabbie apologized to Jane for cursing toll attendant--got tothe room at 5:30--settled in, unpacked--went to the View-just what it sounds like--we ate bar food and pizza in the Broadway Lounge, 8 floors above Times Square.

Wed. 19 degrees, bundled up we walked about 6 to 8 blocks to a grocery store for cheese, salami, fruit, crackers, bloody mix, hot sauce, worcestershire, celery salt, beef bouliane, diet coke, grapefruit juice, V8,lemons, limes and tomato juice. Went back to the room. Snacked.
Went to Babbos by cab. We shared a deconstructed osso buco with extra bone marrow, saffron orzo, and sauteed kale with garlic and olive oil. We had his Mint Pillows, ( a stuffed ravioli including lamb sausage) first. We started the evening with a Plymouth martini and had a 98 Barberesco with the meal--wonderful and reasonable.
Thurs.--We met Chef June (from another thread, and Jeans friend) at El Charros in the Village--We shared Paella and lemon veal. Wonderful food and company--we have a lot in common with Chef June. Oh lunch was at Grand Central Station--I had oysters, Jane had lemon sole, and we both had NE Clam Chowder--grand fare!!
Friday--Touring and street food for lunch. Dinner at 21 Club--food ok--I make better steak Dian, but Jane's rib eye was really good--the experience and nostalgia are reason enough to go here--we toured the "raid proof" wine and liquor celler, built in the 30's to beat the feds.

Sat.--Lunch at Victors on 52nd--my first experience with a cuban sandwich--it won't be my last!! Very nice people--then
JERSEY BOYS!!--probably the best musical I've ever seen---
Dinner was at Beccos, a Bastianich restaurant--the most reasonable great eatery in NYC--three pastas ( all you can eat) for $22.95 and a good wine list for $25 or less for a bottle!!!

Sunday--Lunch at Katz's (Where Harry Met Sally--"I want what she's having")--rude, loud, crowded, and nobody cares--cash only. The best pastrami on the face of the planet--Jews and Texans cook the best brisket!! Took half of it home with the pickles--the cole slaw was Hellmans--not cool. No wine and only the house dark beer.

Monday-- Top of the Mark, lunch at Seaside grill--crabcakes and Eastern Halibut--really good food--we had a reasonable Chablis--went back to 21 Club for souveners for our supper club. Dinner was leftover Babbos and Beccos with wine in the room and a farewell visit to Broadway Bar.

Tues--Starbucks, and Bloody Bulls in the room and a cab ride to the airport--nice day, nice trip, and I wish you the chance to do the same, my friends--Be Well.

Bill & Jane

P.S. We finished the pastrami sandwiches and pickles at home, Tues nite--still very good. We had a refrigerator in the room. Handy. Just ask.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Babbo's and NYC!!! by Old Bay (A ball!!! Great Cit...)
What a wonderful and eclectic food experience. You could be a food critic! I'm reading Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires. That's the book where she describes her days as the NY Times food critic going out in disguise to the restaurants. I would love to try some of these restaurants.... some day!
  Re: Re: Babbo's and NYC!!! by HomeCulinarian (What a wonderful and...)
Sounds like you and Jane had a good time. I'm happy to hear that. My only time in NYC was an hour layover in 1966 at Penn station.

Chef June is quite a person isn't she? I've been privileged to meet and share her company a couple of times.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Babbo's and NYC!!! by bjcotton (Sounds like you and ...)
God, I thought you guys would NEVER get home and tell us all about the trip!!!! How very great - and I'm so envious. Did you steal any marrow spoons for me???

"cabbie apologized to Jane for cursing toll attendant" Wow, Jane brings out the best in folks, even N.Y. cabbies!

Oh Bill, the food just sounds so wonderful and I agree, what a great job describing it.

June and I do go back a long, long way! And she does know her New York, that's for sure.

"I'm reading Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires." Love her books and especially that one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Babbo's and NYC!!! by cjs (God, I thought you ...)
Wow, what a nice trip you had, Bill! Thanks for sharing it with us. Just curious, how did you plan your trip, such as deciding where you wanted to stay and where you wanted to eat. Thanks for the tip about the show. I won't be going to NY anytime soon, but may have the opportunity to see the show when the touring company comes through.

P.S. Loved Garlic and Sapphires!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Sounds like you had a great "culinary" vacation!
"El Charro" - In June's cookbook, she shares the recipe for their Chicken Ajillo. What a great dish.

" Beccos, a Bastianich restaurant" I have one of her cookbooks, and have always wanted to go to one of her restaurants. I looked at her website the other day, and thought the trio of pasta was a great idea.

" rude, loud, crowded, and nobody cares " Sounds like our smoked meat joints in Montreal!

Thanks for the reviews.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Bill I'm so glad you and Jane had such a good time! All the food just sounds so wonderful. Your descriptions were so good that I could almost smell the food.

Isn't Chef June a treat? Bob and got to spend some time with her a few years ago at "the party on the hill" with Jean & Roy, and Billy, and lots of other great folks.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Babbo's and NYC!!! by Harborwitch (Bill I'm so glad you...)
I am SOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!! I am not a New York person---been there X1 and had a wonderful time with my mother/sister-in-law. The food was superb but you have described a whole different experience....next time I will coax my sil into another realm!!!

Sounds as though you guys had a GREAT time!!! Thanks for sharing your experience----are you going to do it again?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Babbo's and NYC!!! by cjs (God, I thought you ...)
Quote:

God, I thought you guys would NEVER get home and tell us all about the trip!!!! How very great - and I'm so envious. Did you steal any marrow spoons for me???

"cabbie apologized to Jane for cursing toll attendant" Wow, Jane brings out the best in folks, even N.Y. cabbies!

Oh Bill, the food just sounds so wonderful and I agree, what a great job describing it.

June and I do go back a long, long way! And she does know her New York, that's for sure.

"I'm reading Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires." Love her books and especially that one.

The bones were so big marrow spoons were not needed!! Small spoons worked--I guess marrow spoons are for small shanks and poor folks!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Babbo's and NYC!!! by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Ahhhh....

The Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station!! Which ones did you choose?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.