Braised lamb shanks - perfect for a winter night!
  Re: (...)
This recipe is from an old Gourmet magazine and I have been "intending" to make this for so long. Lost the recipe in the move, but found this adaptation on line and it is very very good.

Lamb Shanks Braised in Chipotle-Coffee Sauce (Serves 4 with leftovers)
Ingregients
4-6 lamb shanks trimmed of excessive fat and seasoned with salt and pepper
2-3 Tbs. canola oil for browning
1 large onion coarsely chopped*
3 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
6 large carrots peeled and cut in 3” pieces
You'll need a heavy Dutch oven with an oven proof cover that is large enough to hold the lamb.
For braising liquid
2 cans (7 oz.) of San Marco Chipotle sauce **
1 cup of strong, brewed, black coffee
1/4 cup maple syrup***
Juice of one lemon
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp. Kosher salt.
1-2 cups of hot water or more if needed to cover shanks.
Ingredient Notes:
* Onion: sometimes I put the onion in quartered- I like the pieces in the sauce. Try it that way if you like.
** Chipotle sauce: be sure it is the “sauce” NOT the “Chipotle in adobo.” That would deliver one hot dish - far too strong a flavor. Whole Foods Markets carry both. For other sources contact the manufacturer.
*** Maple syrup: use the dark, rich grade B if you can find it. Trader Joes and Whole Foods both carry it.
Directions
1. Arrange oven racks to fit your pan and preheat oven to 325°.
2. In a large, oven proof pan, brown the lamb shanks in canola oil.
3. Use tongs to assist you to sear as much surface of the lamb as possible. Do the meat in batches and don’t crowd the pan.
4. Remove lamb from the pan.
5. Remove all but a thin covering of oil from the pan with paper towels and your tongs.
6. Add the chopped onion to the pan and cook 3 minutes, add the garlic and stir for one minute.
7. Place the browned shanks back in the pan and fit the carrots in around the lamb.
8. Mix the braising liquid ingredients with 1 cup of hot water. Pour over the lamb and carrots. Add more water as needed to almost cover the lamb. Bring to a strong simmer on top of the stove.
9. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and then a heavy oven proof lid doing your best to seal the pan completely.
10. Put the pan into the oven and braise for 3 hours.
11. At the two-hour point, carefully unseal the pan avoiding the steam and gently turn the shanks. Reseal and return to the oven for the last hour.
12. Remove the lamb, carrots and large pieces of onion (if you opted for them) to a warm, serving bowl and cover.
13. Strain the braising liquid through a sieve into a clean pan.
14. Degrease the braising liquid by skimming the fat (or you can sieve it into a gravy separator and then pour it into the pan.) Put the pan on the stove top and reduce the liquid by about one third. Since you are increasing the power of the chipotle as you reduce, so taste as you go. Pour the thickened sauce over the lamb and serve.
Serve with: Polenta or mashed potatoes, green beans, and crusty bread. Put some of the braising liquid in a gravy boat for those who would like to pour more on their potatoes or polenta.
Note: This dish is even better if made a day or two ahead and reheated for service. That makes it perfect for entertaining or to have something prepared for a busy week.
To Reheat: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Reheat lamb with all the liquid and carrots in a wide shallow roasting pan. Try to allow space between the shanks for even reheating. Cover tightly with foil and use an instant read thermometer to be certain the lamb is heated through. It should take 45 minutes to an hour to reheat from refrigerator temperature.

Cheese Polenta
3 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup polenta
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup half & half
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups) (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
2. In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, boil the 3 cups of water, add the salt, and stir in the polenta. Keep stirring until well mixed and you are sure there are no lumps. Reduce the heat and simmer stirring frequently until done. Beware of polenta eruptions. It can spatter and burn the cook. I use the cover of my pan like a shield and reach around it to stir. Remove from the heat and stir in the pepper, butter, half & half and 1.5 cups of the cheese.
3. Pour in to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with reserved cheddar.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden on top.

For the polenta we used half cheddar and half cumin gouda! WOW.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Braised lamb shanks - perfect for a winter night! by Harborwitch (This recipe is from ...)
Oh, my!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Braised lamb shanks - perfect for a winter nig by labradors (Oh, my!...)
what he said.....sounds wonderful!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Braised lamb shanks - perfect for a winter nig by cjs (what he said.....sou...)
That sounds delish! And thank you for the extra notes on ingredients as well.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Braised lamb shanks - perfect for a winter nig by Mare749 (That sounds delish! ...)
I had never noticed the chipotle sauce in the store. We found it - 2 different brands from what she used - but I am going to make sure that I keep a few cans on hand all the time - a very very rich flavor and more controlled heat.

Many many years ago my Mother took me to lunch at a Mexican restaurant out by SeaTac airport. We both ordered the lamb shanks - and for years I've been trying to find a recipe that brought that taste back - this was sooooooooo close! I just did half the recipe - and I'm kicking myself!
  Re: Re: Braised lamb shanks - perfect for a winter nig by Harborwitch (I had never noticed ...)
It's a small, short can. I prefer the chipotles in adobo, but the chipotle sauce IS good to mix with other things.

P.S.: We have the San Marcos brand here - even for some other products. I still like the Herdez salsa casera more than the San Marcos, since the San Marcos uses jalapeños, but Herdez uses serranos. Much better!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Braised lamb shanks - perfect for a winter nig by labradors (It's a small, short ...)
I'm thinking if I want to try lamb, this may be a way to do it and not be overwhelmed with the difference in flavor. Thanks Sharon. If I can find the shanks, I may be giving this a try if it cools off again.

BTW, while chatting with the neighbor about the wonderful weather we've been having, he pointed out the time change coming up...March 8th!!!!! I'm gonna love the longer evenings, but leaving for work in the dark again is going to stink.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Braised lamb shanks - perfect for a winter nig by labradors (It's a small, short ...)
I got La Moreno - they had San Marcos in lots of other products, and there were 2 brands of the sauce. We love Herdez sauces too! I was tickled to find sour orange juice in this Mexican grocery along with frozen banana leaves. It's about time for cochinita pibil!