Bearnaise Question
  Re: (...)
Would I be making a mistake in making this ahead and rewarming right before serving?

Also, can I speed the chilling of my Chocolate Pots de Creme in the freezer briefly or would I be better off to serve them slightly warm? They will only be in the fridge for about 4 hours.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Bearnaise Question by Gourmet_Mom (Would I be making a ...)
Sorry I can't help you here Daphne dear, but I'll be watching for the answers too.

Oh, did I tell you all that I hate people that have someone with an adventurous appetite to cook for. I'm soooooo tired of cooking the same old same old every week.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Bearnaise Question by bjcotton (Sorry I can't help y...)
I'm with ya, Billy. I do envy most on board here because they can try different things.

Daphne, if I remember your question correctly (hey, it was a whole 30 seconds ago I read it 4 hrs in the fridge should do it. In the cooking competition we won last year, we had 4 hours total to do a complete meal. We did pots de creme and they had plenty of time to set up.

Now I'll go back and re-read your question to make sure that's what you asked...

PJ
PJ
I've made bearnaise ahead of time, and heated it in a double boiler with no problems.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Quote:

Would I be making a mistake in making this ahead and rewarming right before serving?

Also, can I speed the chilling of my Chocolate Pots de Creme in the freezer briefly or would I be better off to serve them slightly warm? They will only be in the fridge for about 4 hours.

1.According to Jane , yes--it might seperate--just keep warm over hot water.
Why not make a blender bearnaise?
2 T tarragon vinegar, or white wine vinegar
2 T dry vermouth, or dry white wine
1 1/2 T minced shallot or green onion (white part only)
2 t fresh chopped tarragon or 1 t dried
4 egg yolks
1/4 t salt
1/4 t ground white pepper
2 sticks unslted butter, melted and sizzling.
Combinfirst 4 ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer until 1T liquid remains. Transfer to a blender and add yolks, salt and pepper. Blend until mixed--with machine running, pour hot butter into egg mixture in a slow steady stream--should take about 15 sec.--should hold 30 min. Julia C says if it does seperate add a little heavy cream and pulse until combined.

2. Don't put in freezer--4 hours in refer is enough--can do a day ahead of time.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Bearnaise Question by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Aw, Billy, I wish we lived closer. You could cook for me any day. To add insult to injury, I'll add that the boys roasted a bushel of oysters and fried up a couple pounds of alligator at the camp today. I was offered a plate of cold gator when they got home. Do you think anybody thought to run some to the house while it was still hot....NO!

PJ, thanks for the info. I'm feeling better about it. I was so pissed when I realized it needed to be chilled!

Bill, that's the one I'm doing. At the rate I'm going, I'll be making it a la minute anyway. 'Taters are stuffed, chocolate is chilling, and bread is almost ready to go in. Off to make Hot Crab Dip and my salad dressing. Jean would be so proud....I didn't burn the pine nuts!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bearnaise Question by Gourmet_Mom (Aw, Billy, I wish we...)
No burned pine nuts!! Good on you! What a fun dinner you're putting together - anxious to hear how everything turned out.

Daphne, as Lorraine mentioned, a soft heat will keep your sauce from separating (heating over simmering water), BUT if a sauce does break you can usually save it by putting in a blender or your food processors and adding just a bit (bareley 1 T.) of boiling water while processing it - will bring it back.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bearnaise Question by cjs (No burned pine nuts!...)
Heck, I know I am a day late and by now a few grand short but we do many a sauce at work to hold and even some with "shelf lives" of days. Bearnaise being one of them...now the au Poivre that isn't but is is actually shelf stable as a former F&B chief wanted ALL steaks be grilled and not pan seared so a true au Poivre is not possible...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Bearnaise Question by firechef (Heck, I know I am a ...)
I agree. I have always used the Joy of Cooking blender recipes (except I use the food processor) for both Hollandaise and Bearnaise. I find both will keep for several days in the fridge.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.