Help Neede from Spanish (?) Speakers
  Re: (...)
It's a long story, but someone told me about bread machine jam making and googling I found a really interesting jam recipe - it calls for "setta" - googling this only food reference is below - Spanish???? what does this say? please

Il termine setta è controverso e ha mutato significato nel corso dei secoli. Nel passato esso poteva indicare una scuola di pensiero all'interno di una religione, senza che necessariamente entrasse in conflitto con le altre scuole. In seguito il termine assunse una connotazione dispregiativa, ricercata dalla religione dominante, per indicare gruppi minoritari che contestavano la sua autorità dottrinale e interpretativa. In tal senso movimenti come i valdesi vennero considerati una pericolosa setta da parte della Chiesa cattolica e gli sciiti dell'Islam vennero considerati eretici nei paesi a maggioranza sunnita. A seconda dei periodi storici e culturali le controversie hanno determinato scontri anche molto violenti, persecuzioni e intimidazioni del gruppo più forte sul più debole.

Nonostante il passare del tempo, e l'instaurarsi di un clima più orientato al dialogo e al rispetto delle diversità, il termine setta viene ancora utilizzato in senso dispregiativo per indicare gruppi che hanno miti e ritualità differenti rispetto a quelli della religione dominante. Alcuni sociologi della religione, per ovviare a questo problema, preferiscono utilizzare il termine "culto", ritenuto più neutrale.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Help Neede from Spanish (?) Speakers by cjs (It's a long story, b...)
Jean, my SIL, whose first language is Spanish, says that the above is Italian and that it is referring to religion and cults, not a recipe. Hope this helps!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Jean your reference is in Italian and talks about "sects" of the church. Wikipedia translates if you ask it to.

A little further digging turned up a number of websites talking about "jam setta", a powdered pectin used to set jams and marmalades when they won't set on their own. If you google jam setta you'll find more info.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Help Neede from Spanish (?) Speakers by chef_Tab (Jean, my SIL, whose ...)
Jean, I bet it's the gelatin....makes sense somehow. But I don't remember squat from high school Spanish and wouldn't know the difference between Spanish or most any other European language. So sad.

Sharon, we must have been posting at the same time. Lucky guess!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Help Neede from Spanish (?) Speakers by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I bet it's the...)
I was thinking it must be the the thickening agent also, but wanted to make sure. darn Norwegians can't speak/read any languages....barely makes out English

thanks
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
The sentence translates like this: in Italian

"The controversial term schism (sect)and has changed meaning in the course of the centuries."

If you go to www.appliedlanguage.com they can translate entire sentences for you for free. It does not sound like a jam recipe. I think I have a couple of breadmaker jam recipes if you are interested. Let me check on that.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Help Neede from Spanish (?) Speakers by cjs (I was thinking it mu...)
My Italian-English dictionary (on line) says setta means "sect" and refers specifically to Toscono or Imalia Romano. My daughter Holly has 2 yrs of Italian at Baylor--I have left her a voice mail.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Everything I looked up says it is pectin - either powdered or liquid. Most references were from Australian web sites.

'Jam Setta' (powdered pectin)

Jamsetta" is used to set unset jam when using 3kg or less of fruit. Return unset jam to saucepan, bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Combine 1/2 packet (25g) of "Jamsetta" with 1/2 cup sugar, add to jam. Return to heat, stir until boiling, boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stand 5 minutes. Bottle and seal.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Help Neede from Spanish (?) Speakers by Old Bay (My Italian-English d...)
Had never heard of it until now, but Sharon's reference checks out, so I would agree that it is the pectin. In this case, it appears to be "Spanglish" more than Spanish - that, or it's a product with an English label that the Spanish-speaking country happens to import. Either way, "setta" is obviously a word derived from "setter."

For those who are still dwelling upon the Italian: Note that Jean's original message had indicated that that text was something she had found in her SEARCH for information about "setta." It is NOT the recipe she found, and she is NOT looking for a translation of that text - only identification of the ingredient "setta."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Help Neede from Spanish (?) Speakers by labradors (Had never heard of i...)
Ohhhhhhh... Never mind.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura