Need Help - Lower fat dressing
  Re: (...)
Hi all. Hope you are having a good Sunday. I need some help. I am off this Friday to my Annual (Last one ) trip to the Flower Show with a friend and stay in a Hotel overnight. This is a trip we usually treat ourselves to at least every other year. We both have B-days in February.

Anyway, my friend is on a Low Fat Diet, and with health concerns and tight finances, we are going to pack in our lunch and dinner and just have a relaxing time in the hotel after wearing ourselves out at the flower show all day. I am bringing lunch. I am not very good with low fat (I tend to do low carb) and thought I would bring these great wraps.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey curry wraps

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : lunch or light Main Dish Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Turkey breast - oven roasted -- cooked
1 bag Coleslaw
tortillas
Peanuts
Dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup mango chutney
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder

Mix Dressing ingredients together.

Layer cut up turkey or chicken breast on tortilla, with Coleslaw mix and
peanuts

Wrap and eat!

NOTES : Use 1 bag coleslaw mix or one bag brocolli slaw mix.

Use oven roasted turkey breast or chicken breast.

I will look for a low/no fat pita or tortilla to use and add some extra vegis like red pepper strips and cucumber. I will use the broccoli slaw But the dressing base is Mayo.

What would you suggest I use to get less fat. She tries to stay under 10 grams per meal (That is on the high end). Should I just use nonfat mayo, low fat mayo, make a yogurt cheese?

I have not tried the lower fat mayo, and don't really want to purchase something - just to try - that won't work. Willing to buy it if it will work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really like this easy wrap and it has great flovor, but maybe just bag the recipe and go with something else? But it needs to be lunch and easy to pack in a small cooler - lunch size.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Need Help - Lower fat dressing by esgunn (Hi all. Hope you ar...)
Erin, this doesn't really answer your question, but why not try this one. Did you try this one for the review? If you'll note, it is only 12 grams fat. If you skipped the marinated meat (two thirds of the brown sugar) and used reduced fat or sugar free peanut butter and the breast of a roasted chicken, I think it may work. Also, you're using lettuce wraps instead of pita, etc. They were kinda messy though. But that may have just been me. I didn't work too hard to wrap the lettuce very well. If nothing else, maybe this will give you some ideas of how to modify your sauce.

Thai Chicken Skewer Wraps

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

1 cup fresh cilantro leaves -- packed
6 tablespoons brown sugar -- divided
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice -- divided
2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
2 lbs. chicken breast, no skin, no bone, R-T-C -- sliced into 1/4" thick strips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup shallots -- chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh ginger -- chopped
3 cloves garlic -- chopped
16 bibb lettuce leaves
16 strips red bell pepper
16 strips cucumber
Lime wedges

Blend cilantro, 4 T. brown sugar, 2 T. lime juice, 1 T. curry paste, pepper flakes, and salt in a food processor till smooth.
Pour over chicken, toss to coat, and marinate 10 min. Preheat broiler to high with rack 6" from element; coat a broiler pan with nonstick spray.

Process 2 T. brown sugar, 4 T. lime juice and 1 T. curry paste with peanut butter, water, shallots, soy sauce, ginger and garlic in the processor (no need to wash the bowl) until smooth. Transfer to a serving dish.

Thread chicken onto 32 skewers. Arrange 8 skewers on prepared pan; cover ends of skewers with foil to prevent burning. Broil chicken in batches till browned and cooked though, 6 min.

To serve wrap a lettuce leaf around 2 strips of chicken, remove skewers, then add bell pepper and cucumber. Drizzle with sauce and lime juice.

Makes 16 skewers, about 2 cups sauce

Source:
"Cuisine at Home"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 414 Calories; 12g Fat (25.5% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 69mg Cholesterol; 673mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 6 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Erin, you may want to scratch my idea. I just checked and the fat grams increased when I changed it to roasted chicken breast and deleted the marinade. Go figure!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Need Help - Lower fat dressing by Gourmet_Mom (Erin, this doesn't r...)
I haven't used full fat mayo in at least decade - for anything. I have never felt like I was missing any flavor, consistency or anything like that.
  Re: Re: Need Help - Lower fat dressing by Trixxee (I haven't used full ...)
I use low fat mayo all the time, it will work just fine and you won't have to change the basic taste of your recipe by much. As for the broccoli slaw, have you used it before? I was very disappointed by it.

Just a thought, we like honey mustard on a wrap and that's low-fat. Also, low fat Italian dressing.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need Help - Lower fat dressing by Mare749 (I use low fat mayo a...)
Daphne, lettuce wraps are much messier than using a tortilla or pita-- it isn't "just you".

Erin, I might go partially with the recipe Daphne posted for a lowfat option. I would poach the chicken and cool in the poaching liquid, then shred (it will be moist and need less dressing, and you would avoid the extra calories and fat of the marinade).

For the dressing, I was going to alter the one which Daphne posted, then realized that I have a Thai Peanut Sauce recipe that would work well. I'll post it below.

As for the rest of the ingredients, add sliced red bell pepper and cucumber to thinly sliced cabbage (nix the coleslaw of broccoli slaw mix unless you use it regularly-- I find that I waste less if I buy a head of cabbage instead of a bag of slaw mix). Those will add color, crunch, and nutrition.

And use lowfat, multi-grain or whole wheat tortillas to wrap all of this in. Stay away from the fat-free tortillas, though. All those that I have tried have been dry and flavorless, not worth the fat-gram savings.

I hope that this wasn't too confusing.

Thai Peanut Sauce

Recipe By: Vicci
Servings: 6 (2 tablespoons each)

3 tablespoons peanut butter
5 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons lowfat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 large garlic cloves -- coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh chives -- sliced (or sliced green onion tops)

Place all ingredients except chives in small food processor and process until smooth. If too thick, a little more water.

Spoon into small bowl, garnish with chives or green onion tops.

Yield:
"3/4 cup"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 72 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat (1g saturated); (64% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2mg Cholesterol; 229mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Serving Ideas : Serve with fresh vegetables such as summer squash, carrots, cherry tomatoes, red pepper strips, cucumber slices, etc.

NOTES : This can be also made without the food processor, using a whisk to mix the ingredients. In that case, mince the garlic cloves finely.
Can be made a few days ahead.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com