Pinot Noir Glaze
  Re: (...)
Okay, the V-Day's dinner wasn't a total bust. The food was very good. The restaurant - the flagship of William Douglas Steakhouse - had their daily menu as well as a prix fixe menu. I ordered off the regular menu with a petit filet and 3 jumbo Scampi style shrimps.

The waiter failed to notify us of the specials that the chef was still offering among the enhancements of the prix fixe menu. We overheard this from a neighboring table AFTER we had placed our orders. The Hubby brought this to our waiter's attention and he told of of the specials. I upgraded to Filet Oscar. I love the crabmeat and asparagus with a good filet! This is what probably added to the 45 minute wait of the entree being served. Whatever.

I did order a couple of sides - sauteed mushrooms and a pinot noir "glaze" sauce for the filet. It was awesome!! It was thick, too.

I swear that I will never go out on V-Day again, but if I could score a recipe on this sauce, it would help make my case. Hubby thought it was awesome, too! Like I've said before, I'm bad on sauces, I need to just practice.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? Can anyone recommend any books for practice on sauces?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Pinot Noir Glaze by BarbaraS (Okay, the V-Day's di...)
Barbara, I'm slowly making my way through James Peterson's Sauces Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making. There is does not appear to be a sauce exactly like you name, but it would give you lots of sauce ideas. While it has recipes, the best part is the techniques described.

Check it out at Amazon, because you can see the table of contents and the index. But if you choose to buy, AbeBooks has it for 5 or 6 bucks.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pinot Noir Glaze by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, I'm slowly ...)
Ahhh, techniques!! Practices!!

Daphne, I am a veteran of forums, just not cooking forums. I'm passable, at best, in cooking. Just point to the book and I can help myself along with you all!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pinot Noir Glaze by BarbaraS (Ahhh, techniques!! ...)
Quote:

Daphne, I am a veteran of forums, just not cooking forums. I'm passable, at best, in cooking.

Bull! You're more than up to most of us...especially me....LOL!

Check out the book. I'll warn you though...it's a tome...over 575 pages and heavy! It's more of an encyclopedia of sauces. So if you're looking to play with sauces, this would be a good one.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pinot Noir Glaze by Gourmet_Mom ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Barbara, here is one of the nicest wine sauces that I've worked with. You can sub the Pinot Noir for the Merlot.

MERLOT SAUCE:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsps red-wine vinegar
1 cup finely chopped onion -- (~1 med.)
3 Tbsps unsalted butter
2 cup Merlot or other dry red wine
2 cup rich veal stock or demi-glace
1 T. butter

MERLOT SAUCE: In a small heavy saucepan bring water w/sugar to a boil, stirring till sugar is dissolved.
Boil syrup, without stirring, till a golden caramel.
Remove pan from heat & carefully add vinegar down the side of pan (caramel will steam & harden). Cook caramel over mod. heat, stirring, till dissolved, ~3 min. & remove pan from heat.

In a heavy saucepan cook onion in butter over moderate heat, stirring, till golden, ~5 min.
Stir in wine & boil till mixture is reduced to 1 cup, about 15 min.
Stir in stock or demi-glace & boil till, mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 10 min.
Remove pan from heat & stir in caramel.
Pour sauce thru a sieve into a bowl. Return sauce to skillet and swirl in 1 T. butter – don’t stir it, just swirl the sauce in the pan over moderate heat until butter is melted and incorporated. Sauce may be made 2 days ahead, cooled completely, & chilled, covered. Reheat sauce before serving. Heat the sauce over simmering water.

-----

Here is the classic way to make demi glace, but you can buy demi glace in some larger markets if you don't want to go through this entire process.

Demi-Glace

1 quart Brown Veal Stock
1 quart Espagnole Sauce

Combine the stock and the espagnole sauce in a heavy-gauge pot and simmer over low to moderate heat until reduced by half.

Skim the sauce frequently as it simmers. Strain the sauce. The sauce is ready to serve now, or it may be cooled and stored for later use.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pinot Noir Glaze by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, I'm slowly ...)
Okay, I just ordered that book through Abebooks for cheap.

Is that place for real?

Barbara
  Re: Re: Pinot Noir Glaze by cjs (Barbara, here is one...)
Jean,

Looks totally yummy!! I will try this one out this weekend. It was a thick sauce as I recall.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Pinot Noir Glaze by cjs (Barbara, here is one...)
Jean,

Can I use a non-stock pot to make the caramel? Also, I can't find veal stock, can I sub beef stock? Thanks!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Pinot Noir Glaze by BarbaraS (Jean,[br][br]Can I u...)
"Can I use a non-stock pot to make the caramel?" - yes, just as long as it is a heavy pot/pan

" can I sub beef stock?" - yes.

have fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com