Can/How Do I Freeze... ?
  Re: (...)
Hey All!!

Let's play the can/how do I freeze game!!

We've already found out the Bechamel sauce can be frozen and reintroduced to life gradually in a bain marie.

I hate buying a quart of buttermilk, and only using a pint and throwing the rest out. Can I freeze buttermilk for reuse without compromising it?

Rules for this post: Must quote question being answered to there is no confusion.

C'mon!! Let's pick the brains of the forum members and elite foodies out there!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Can/How Do I Freeze... ? by BarbaraS (Hey All!![br][br]Let...)
I must say, I'm interested in that answer, since I have a piece of a quart now. Although, I usually use it, but not always.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Can/How Do I Freeze... ? by BarbaraS (Hey All!![br][br]Let...)
[blockquote]Quote:

I hate buying a quart of buttermilk, and only using a pint and throwing the rest out. Can I freeze buttermilk for reuse without compromising it?

quote]

I freeze buttermilk all the time. I only use it for cooking, though. I haven't tried using frozen buttermilk for things like salad dressing. I'm sure the quality would suffer.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Can/How Do I Freeze... ? by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
BTW, I also keep powdered buttermilk in the back of the fridge in case of emergencies.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Can/How Do I Freeze... ? by Gourmet_Mom (BTW, I also keep pow...)
Quote:

BTW, I also keep powdered buttermilk in the back of the fridge in case of emergencies.

Ditto
  Re: Re: Can/How Do I Freeze... ? by Gourmet_Mom (BTW, I also keep pow...)
Quote:

That's the only kind of buttermilk I have here, and that's only because someone brought it to me from the States.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Can/How Do I Freeze... ? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Powered buttermilk? What kind of amazing stores do you all have?!

Has anyone ever made their own? I've done a couple of times, but never had skim milk to use since we only drink 1% but it came out ok.
  Re: Re: Can/How Do I Freeze... ? by DFen911 (Powered buttermilk? ...)
Quote:

Powered buttermilk? What kind of amazing stores do you all have?!

Here it is. You may need to look near the flour and sugar rather than with other powdered milks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Can/How Do I Freeze... ? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
It is in the baking isle. So many containers poured down the sink - I try and keep some in the back of the refer now too!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Can/How Do I Freeze... ? by esgunn (It is in the baking ...)
Yep, that's the one I use, too. Sometimes I add the powder with the dry ingredients and then just use water for the liquid rather than mixing it up first. Seems to work just fine.