Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th?
  Re: (...)
It's supposed to be beautiful today, so I'm grilling ribs, potatoes and asparagus on the grill!!!!!!! I'm so excited. I did a search on MasterCook to see which rib recipe to use - I have 279 references to ribs on the darn program - can you tell we love them? Found a Bruce Aidells recipe I haven't tried yet, so will give that a try. It was in a Food & Wine mag. a while back. (not broiling them tho.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tuscan-Style Spareribs with Balsamic Glaze

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chopped sage
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
6 pounds pork spareribs
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar -- preferably one aged for at least 5 years

In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, rosemary, kosher salt, fennel, black pepper, sage, thyme, paprika, crushed red pepper, coriander and allspice. Rub the spice paste all over the spareribs and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.

Preheat the oven to 325°. Arrange the ribs on a large, rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan, meaty side up. Roast the ribs for 2 hours, or until tender.

Preheat the broiler. Brush the meaty side of the ribs with the balsamic vinegar and broil 6 inches from the heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then cut between the ribs and serve.

A slightly spicy medium-bodied red with low acidity or a lighter-bodied Sangiovese-based red like Chianti.

Search for easy-to-find complex, savory chianti classico or riserva

Description:
"Bruce Aidells, author of Bruce Aidells's Complete Book of Pork, loves to barbecue spareribs, but his favorite way to prepare them is to generously season the ribs with a mix of aromatic herbs and spices and slow-roast them until tender and crisp."

What's everyone else up to?
(It's supposed to be beautiful tomorrow too, but we'll be at friends for dinner, so darn it, I'll probably not grill again for while....whine )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th? by cjs (It's supposed to be ...)
Ooohh that sounds yummy, I can't wait for grilling season to start!

We are just doing leftovers. But our leftovers are wonderful.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th? by luvnit (Ooohh that sounds yu...)
I'm so tired of beans and rice and bean soup (even tho they were great) that I thawed two big fat ribeyes. Some kind of potato, and Caesar salad.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th? by Lorraine (I'm so tired of bean...)
The ribs do sound good... But, we're having Salmon with lemon linguine tonight and some broccoli. Teenage daughter comes home for dinner on Thursdays and this was her request. Hopefully, I can save up enough calories today to be able to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner!
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th? by luvnit (Ooohh that sounds yu...)
I have a nice pork shoulder roast, all browned up and baking in a slow oven for the afternoon. Later, I will add sauerkraut and make mashed potatoes. I haven't decided what else just yet, but probably scalloped apples. This is Ron's idea of a great dinner, so he should be a happy camper when he gets home from work.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th? by Mare749 (I have a nice pork s...)
BBQ Chicken Pizza. It's easy enough for a heavy homework night.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th? by Trixxee (BBQ Chicken Pizza. ...)
I did the Soba noodle recipe with shrimp from the latest issue--page 26-----I thought it was okay---nothing special. Peter said---Why did you waste all of that good shrimp?

I guess this was not a meal with ingredients that we really prefer----

I am curious to know if anyone else has made this dish---and opinion???

I will not do again but it was different and kind of fun to make---AND!!!!! I even had the SOBA noodles---just picked up last week while shopping---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th? by Roxanne 21 (I did the Soba noodl...)
I'm glad to hear your review of that one Rox. I had looked at that one. I will NOT be using up shrimp for that.

Jean, your ribs sound awesome. I can't wait to hear about it.

Jeanette,Salmon and lemon linguine...YUM! A favorite around here!

Tonight, the "employee" is here again and it's a Thursday, which means I'm pooped and not up for major league cooking. SOOOOO, I pulled some of my precious Brooklyn House Spaghetti Sauce out of the freezer and will add some fried Italian sausage and serve over store bought noodles. "He" requested garlic bread, but since we ate all the bread this weekend, he'll have to settle for store bought Texas Toast. He's lucky I'm sharing my sauce! Simple salad with vinaigrette will round it out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th? by Roxanne 21 (I did the Soba noodl...)
Roxanne, I've been wanting to make something with soba noodles ( not that I have found any ), thanks for the review.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Feb. 19th? by Lorraine (Roxanne, I've been w...)
I haven't made it, Roxanne, but I did eye it for the future. Hmmmmm, I'm surprised with all the flavors mentioned. I may have to try a half recipe.

Daphne, the rub was delicious and brushing the ribs with just balsamic was a novel idea, but they just missed the mark as far as keeping the recipe. Well, I will keep the rub idea - but, I guess when I want ribs, I want sticky, gooey, deliciousness.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com