Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl
  Re: (...)
Ok so did another recipe tonight. I was a little leary of the ingredients. The meat is marinated in 1/4 c. bourbon, 1/4 c. maple syrup and 2 Tbl minced garlic.

Before I go into more here's a pic -

[Image: BourbonBeefNoodleBowl.jpg]

Now for the review. First I did not have any of the egg noodles but I did have some Udon noodles and those worked just fine. Also I had a ribeye steak that I used for the beef.

First - do not use Ribeye. It does not cook well in the manner the recipe calls for. The meat got very tough.

I mentioned I was leary of the flavor profile and I was right. This recipe was awful. All I could taste was the maple syrup and it was all we could smell. I ended up adding some low sodium soy and that helped some. But maple syrup and garlic DO NOT MIX!

I have made a note to marinate my beef in some soy, a ginger beer and garlic next time.

Sorry for the poor review, but had to be honest.
  Re: Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl by DFen911 (Ok so did another re...)
Really missed the mark, huh? Is it a C@H recipe? (never mind, just found it on pg. 14 ) This is really unusual - two misses in this issue.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl by cjs (Really missed the ma...)
Thanks Denise, I was planning on trying that one. Don't think I will now.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl by Mare749 (Thanks Denise, I was...)
What was the other miss Jean?
  Re: Re: Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl by DFen911 (What was the other m...)
I don't usually go for maple syrup in much besides breakfast foods and baking. Wasn't planning on trying this one anyway... Now I know I won't. Thanx for the honest review!
  Re: Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl by DFen911 (Ok so did another re...)
Well it looks fabulous. I guess it is "Better to look good... than to taste good! This looks marvelous dawling!"

Thanks for the heads up!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl by luvnit (Well it looks fabulo...)
Wow, it does look delicious. Do you think just leaving out the syrup would help? Bourbon sounds like a good idea! What a bummer for you. Thanks for the warning, Denise.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl by chef_Tab (Wow, it does look de...)
Well, pooh! I had this one marked as well! I hadn't tried it yet, due to being leary of the syrup....guess I was right. Bummer! I sure looks good. I'm with Theresa, I may give it a try without the syrup.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl by Gourmet_Mom (Well, pooh! I had t...)
I think you could do the bourbon by it's self but something tells me it would be harsher. Maybe cutting it with a bit of beef stock.

Just keep the syrup for the pancakes and waffles
  Re: Re: Review - Bourbon Beef Noodle Bowl by DFen911 (I think you could do...)
Roxanne was not impressed with the soba Noodle Salad on page 26.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com