No Shopping for a Week?????
  Re: (...)
this is a link to a fun and $$$ saving thread from egullet. It we all did it one week a month, just think of the $$$ we would save. anyone game to try it with me?

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=122070
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: No Shopping for a Week????? by cjs (this is a link to a ...)
I would love to Jean, but I'm used to buying fresh fruit and veggies a couple times a week. Aside from that, I could probably live off the freezer and pantry for several weeks and was just saying that to Ron this morning.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: No Shopping for a Week????? by Mare749 (I would love to Jean...)
I'm with Maryann on this one, I need my trips to the grocery store for the fresh stuff (and milk), although I only go out once a week or less.

I have found that those "green bags" actually do what they say and keep veggies fresh for a couple of weeks, so I actually might be able to cut my trips to every other week or so (but since DH and I both work from home we probably would kill each other if we didn't get out of the house occasionally).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: No Shopping for a Week????? by cjs (this is a link to a ...)
We often eat from the freezer and have been even more frugal than ever with our grocery money. You know, pairing weekly specials with what's on the table more often than being motivated by our food cravings.

I think eating from the freezer would be more fun if we made a game out of it. Such as a 'contest' or better still a 'show and/or tell' of best tasting or cheapest dish your family made from the freezer! Then we can all ohh and ahh over each other's dishes. Just a thought.

Eating from the freezer can be fun. I always feel proud when we do it. I have never done it for a specific time, but I am willing to give it a try.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: No Shopping for a Week????? by luvnit (We often eat from th...)
Considering the fact that I just did this a couple of weeks ago (I was determined to make my grocery money make it to the end of the month.), this would be hard for me right now. Not much in there...LOL! Plus, tomorrow is a "special" day and will extend to Tuesday, when DD will be here. But I'd be willing to start next weekend. And I promise I wouldn't stockpile...other than making bread and pasta over the weekend. But that would use ingredients I always have on hand, so that's not cheating...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: No Shopping for a Week????? by Gourmet_Mom (Considering the fact...)
I don't think we ought to make any special timing for this, just whenever we all feel we can handle it - in amongst our busy social schedules don't you know.

I'm just going to quietly try to do this once a month and see if we can.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: No Shopping for a Week????? by cjs (I don't think we oug...)
" I'm just going to quietly try to do this once a month and see if we can. "

I did this a few times last fall, didn't plan it, it was just the way it happened. With 2 fridges, a freezer and a well stocked cold room, it was much easier to do than I thought.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.