Top Chef - SPOILER!!!! DON'T LOOK
  Re: (...)
I am so disappointed that Hosea won! He was o.k., but I was such a Carla fan since the first show - she is the cutest darn thing and I so wish I could with my face all the expressions she's able to do! And what a good little cook - when she stays true to herself.

The minute Casey mentioned sous vide (the steak), I thought oh no, it's not her way. and then the darn souffle. I was actually talking to the tv - but did she listen????

Good season tho - the cooks knew what they were doing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Top Chef - SPOILER!!!! DON'T LOOK by cjs (I am so disappointed...)
I watched that yesterday and was hoping Carla would win too. She seems very nice and I enjoy watching chefs who are trained with a classical background. She'll do fine.

Stephan was too much of an egomaniac. Enough said.

Hosea - Well I guess I never even thought he would make it to the final three. I thought Jamie was going to be there.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
We were so hoping Carla would win - not from the beginning but we became great fans of hers. Her food was amazing when she did what she knew from her heart.

Hosea was Bob's second choice.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Top Chef - SPOILER!!!! DON'T LOOK by Harborwitch (We were so hoping Ca...)
Did anyone catch Carla on National Public Radio yesterday afternoon? She was a treat to listen to on the drive home after work. I managed to get in on the call in part but not on air. She is quite the fan of playing with recipes and using them as a loose guide once you are comfortable with them to get your own results. Sounds a lot like we do when we "talk" here.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
I agree, Jean, when Casey mentioned sous vide, I knew it was over for Carla. I was so hoping she'd win!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Top Chef - SPOILER!!!! DON'T LOOK by pjcooks (I agree, Jean, when ...)
Jean,

I don't watch the show. So out of curiosity, what did they sous vide?

Barbara<~~~will probably be divo-ing it for the next new season...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Top Chef - SPOILER!!!! DON'T LOOK by BarbaraS (Jean,[br][br]I don't...)
they did steaks! No way could that be a winner on any contest menu! (imo - no way a winner in any circumstance! - not beautiful steaks.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Top Chef - SPOILER!!!! DON'T LOOK by cjs (they did steaks! No ...)
Ewwww!! I just googled that on wikipedia. How could they recommend that on a tv show. The possibility of food poisoning is unbelievable!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

I like a nice crunchy exterior on my steaks. I can only wonder what that steak looked like. Yech!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Top Chef - SPOILER!!!! DON'T LOOK by BarbaraS (Ewwww!! I just goog...)
Jean you echoed my thoughts exactly. I so wanted Carla to win and the minute she went down Casey's path I knew it was all over.

Carla should have realized she got to the final 3 baseed on how she (Carla) cooked! Casey lost her season based on how she cooked. I so wish Carla hadn't comprised her vision cause I honestly think she would have taken the grand prize.

I was also very interested to see Fabio as a final judge.

The final episode was very anticlimatic for me too. I mean there was no "challenge". Just cook the best 3 course meal of your life..what no twist...no strange ingredient to challenge them? It was like the producers were tired and forgot about the final show and went...oh yeah...they have to cook something. Hmmm what shall we have them do?
  Re: Re: Top Chef - SPOILER!!!! DON'T LOOK by DFen911 (Jean you echoed my t...)
I agree with all of you guys . . . sous vide . . . on steaks, no less . . . knew she was in trouble immediately! I don't think that anyone had cooked that way in any of the challenges this year, what would posess her to agree to it on the most crucial meal you are going to cook. If you had never done it before, why now??

Chels had the opportunity to work with Casey during the chefs holidays events at the Ahwahnee. She said that she was adorable, engaging, but to her eyes, not culinarily trained. Made up for the lack of experience with the strength of her personality. She was a crowd favorite and Chels enjoyed working with her, just had said that there were little things that she had noticed that were give aways.