Green Bags?
  Re: (...)
Someone (sorry, I'm in a fog with a wicked head cold all week) mentioned something about "green bags" you use to keep your veggies fresh. Do these really work and where can you get them?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Green Bags? by BarbaraS (Someone (sorry, I'm ...)
I don't remember if it was Consumer Reports or CI that said to save your money, they really didn't live up to the promises. That being said, I haven't tried them, maybe someone else here has.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Green Bags? by pjcooks (I don't remember if ...)
not me, sorry.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Green Bags? by cjs (not me, sorry....)
Barbara, I was pretty sure it was Vicci, and sure enough....here it is.

Like you, I took note of her post and planned to try them. I especially want to get some for Ashley. After trying out another item from the "as seen on tv" rack at the local Walgreen and liking it, I thought I'd try these, too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Green Bags? by BarbaraS (Someone (sorry, I'm ...)
Quote:

Someone (sorry, I'm in a fog with a wicked head cold all week) mentioned something about "green bags" you use to keep your veggies fresh. Do these really work and where can you get them?

No. Don't bother. My mother tried them and said they really only helped for one thing. I don't remember what that one thing was, but it wasn't enough to make the "green bags" worth it.

Instead, try something that's "green" in another way - that is, recycling the bags in which you buy grapes at the store. They usually come in those bags that have holes in them to allow them to breath. Since the gas given off by fruits and vegetables is what causes the problems, maybe just storing things in the grape bags would be enough to keep those gases from remaining concentrated around what you are trying to protect. Haven't tried this for myself, yet (though I have been saving the grape bags for just such a purpose), but it SOUNDS logical enough.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Green Bags? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I was going through some old threads from when I was gone, and saw this one. When my SIL in Toronto bought them, I laughed and thought "Another, as seen on tv gimmick". I think if you have a good fridge (as ours was), you don't need them. However, if your fridge is ancient (as ours is here, with lots of condensation), they are a godsend. She sent be a pack of them, and I use them all the time. I can keep green onions, lettuce etc for up to 3 weeks with the produce staying very fresh. But, Labs is right about grapes, I keep them in the perforated bags they come in.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Green Bags? by Lorraine (I was going through ...)
Okay, Lorraine, but my point was that my mom tried the green bags and they did NOT help enough to be worth the asking price, yet the perforated bags from grapes may be useful for OTHER items, and not just grapes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Green Bags? by labradors (Okay, Lorraine, but ...)
I use them and like them. Maybe because I have an old refrigerator, but I think they definitely work.
  Re: Re: Green Bags? by HomeCulinarian (I use them and like ...)

We have used these bags for several years and really liked them.

have had good luck with veggies in them.

ours came from qvc.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Green Bags? by mjkcooking ([br]We have used the...)
I think they work pretty good for berries.