Parsley and Butterflies
  Re: (...)
Almost sounds like a song, doesn't it? But not! It's almost that time of year around here...my planning begins now. And boy do I need a plan! Every year I plant Italian parsley, which I use a LOT. And every year, the butterflies take over. Last year, I tried planting an extra plant for the butterflies (per instructions from one of Mom's friends). The caterpillars loved me....more to eat! (I love Jo, but she has some different ideas about stuff. I swear, I think she must have gone out every day to move the buggers off HER plants and put them on THEIR plant. I don't have time for that.)

So my question...does anyone have a way to keep them off your plants...other than going out every day and plucking the buggers off?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Parsley and Butterflies by Gourmet_Mom (Almost sounds like a...)
I would try Rotenone or bacillus thuringus, both very effective and organic
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Parsley and Butterflies by Gourmet_Mom (Almost sounds like a...)
We use a product called Safer. It's mostly just soap and water - and safe to use on edible crop. We've never had that problem though. Hmmmmm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Parsley and Butterflies by Harborwitch (We use a product cal...)
Hey Daphne, can't be much help here.

I started my herb garden last week. It's in my kitchen window this year. I started with seedlings. And this garden is going to stay in my kitchen window Last year my basil got heat stroke, my parsley got attacked by caterpillars, and my cilantro rotted out.

I have basil, oregano and parsley so far.
  Re: Re: Parsley and Butterflies by DFen911 (Hey Daphne, can't be...)
My fingers are itching also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Parsley and Butterflies by cjs (My fingers are itchi...)
Just to brag, I still have 6 kinds of basil KICKING BUTT, in my aerogrow thingy
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Parsley and Butterflies by farnfam (Just to brag, I stil...)
geez, who's closest to Cis to do some butt kicking?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Parsley and Butterflies by cjs (geez, who's closest ...)
Maryann, you told me you used to drive to Buffalo from time to time..think you could make that trip one more time, but go a little farther north? I soooo think Cis needs a serious Butt Kicking!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.