cornish game hen
  Re: (...)
wanting to rotisserie cornish game he on the grill and looking for receipes and cooking times.

terrymann
  Re: cornish game hen by terrymann (wanting to rotisseri...)
Not really what you asked for, but there is a wonderful Brined & Bricked chicken recipe in Issue 46 that we love. And I've just been thinking that this year I'm going to try it with cornish game hens. If you like, I can post that one
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: cornish game hen by farnfam (Not really what you ...)
I've never done mine on the rotisserie. I've always just removed the back bone, cut in half at the breast bone and cook them directly on the grill.

I season them with a bit of olive oil and Mr. Stubbs BBQ rub of all things and they come out great! As for cooking time, well I use brickets and cook it over Med-High for about 35-45 minutes and let them rest for 10 minutes.
  Re: cornish game hen by terrymann (wanting to rotisseri...)
Quote:

rotisserie cornish game

For a recipe try to accent the earthy game side of this fine feathered beast!

I like a fig and date glaze for them. Salt and pepper the bird (inside and out), coat with Yoshidas Gourmet sauce (inside and out), add a little thyme and onion powder. Place a couple chopped dates and a quartered fig on the inside along with a quartered shallot or onion.

Place on the rotisserie and a get them going. They will take about 1.5 hours depending on their start temp and there size, as well as the size of the burner you have on the rig. Best to skip time and use a thermometer. 152 F is the pull temp for Game Hen.

While that is going on, reduce one cup of merlot, 2 Tbsp of hoisin sauce (Yoshidas will work if you don't keep the Red Rice Sauce (Hoisin) around) four chopped dates, two chopped figs, 1/4 cup of craisins and some salt and pepper. Reduce for one hour over medium until pureed.

Brush this onto the bird the last ten minutes or so, when the bird hits about 143 F you can start the coating process.

Never pair a wine with Game Hen , always serve a wine contrast . While contrasting is more difficult to do correctly, the hidden secrets of the wine that come out make it well worth pursuing. My favorite contrasting on game hen is merlot, but most of the mildly sweet wines will contrast off this dish well, red or white.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: cornish game hen by bbally ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
When we do hens on a spit, I wash them inside and out and pat dry. Then I fill the cavities with citrus slices - orange, lemon, lime - a little onion, and some kind of herb - rosemary or thyme. I put them on the rotisserie spit butt end to butt end so the fillings don't fall out. Then I salt and pepper the skin and rub with olive oil. We roast them for about 50 minutes, then let them sit for 15. For the last 15 minutes on the grill I brush them with a butter/honey glaze to crisp up the skin.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: cornish game hen by BarbaraS (When we do hens on a...)
Barbara, I do mine very similar to your way - great results.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: cornish game hen by cjs (Barbara, I do mine v...)
Say, bbally, thanks for the wine tip!
How fun!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: cornish game hen by farnfam (Say, bbally, thanks ...)
Quote:

Say, bbally, thanks for the wine tip!
How fun!

NOrthern New York you have some decent local wines to choose from!!!!!
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: cornish game hen by farnfam (Say, bbally, thanks ...)
I think a pinot noir or a Rioja would go well with game hen too. I've found the choices of merlot hit or miss,especially those most availble from California. Merlot would be ok for the sauce.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: cornish game hen by Old Bay (I think a pinot noir...)
I agree Merlot is that way, but when you find it correct, it is really neat.

Of course the Movie Sideways created a group of zombie followers did not do a lot to help merlot. One of those grapes that can grow in a lot of places, but the weather for the year kind of sets whether it will be $2 or $20 in the bottle.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985