Flour Tortillas
  Re: (...)
OK, I need help. I needed flour tortillas for my enchilada making marathon, and hubby bought the wrong size. He won't take them back - did buy me the right size though.

But now I have about 50 flour tortillas. Anyone have some good ideas/recipes for flour tortillas? Obviously I have already used them for enchiladas and we already had some for quesadillas which my kids love.

Any luck freezing them? Prefered method? Any ideas would be great.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Flour Tortillas by esgunn (OK, I need help. ...)
I freeze mine. They freeze well, be careful when separating them while they're frozen, which hasn't been a problem actually.

But defrost them just before using them or else they dry up just like they would if you opened the package and left them out for an hour.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Flour Tortillas by esgunn (OK, I need help. ...)
Erin, I am no expert, but a friend occasionally brings some fabulous tortillas from her favorite Mexican restaurant. I layer them with wax paper between and freeze them in a ziploc. This has worked well for me and I can take out as many as I need. You just need to be careful while they are frozen as they break easily.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Flour Tortillas by chef_Tab (Erin, I am no expert...)
Yes, as someone else said they freeze beautifully - I'm drinking wine right now, but I do have lots of ideas for using them.

Off the top of my head, I bet the kids would like some wraps made with them....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Flour Tortillas by cjs (Yes, as someone else...)
Quote:

I'm drinking wine right now, but I do have lots of ideas for using them.

Me, too. LOL
  Re: Re: Flour Tortillas by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
They last in the fridge forever.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Flour Tortillas by Old Bay (They last in the fri...)
Erin, how about quesadillas? My grandkiddies love them. You can let your children make their own, then grill it for them. Or maybe Mexican pizza or breakfast burritos?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Flour Tortillas by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Apple-Pie "Burrito"
(My own, crazy idea)

Ingredients:
  • 1 Flour tortilla
  • 1/2 Apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
  • 3 Tbsp Butter
  • Brown sugar
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg
Instructions:
  1. Peel and core and apple. Slice one half of it very thinly, and save the other half for something else.
  2. In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt about 3 tablespoons of butter.
  3. Add the apple slices along with enough brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to coat the apples plus a little extra.
  4. Cook until the apples are soft.
  5. Remove the apples to a dish, but leave some of the brown-sugar mixture in the pan.
  6. Put a flour tortilla into the pan, coating it well, and cook for about a minute. Reduce the heat, if necessary, to keep the sugar from burning.
  7. Turn over the tortilla and coat the other side well.
  8. As it cooks, for about another minute, place the cooked apples in a straight line across the middle of the tortilla.
  9. Fold one empty third of the tortilla toward the middle, covering the apples.
  10. Fold the other empty third of the tortilla toward the middle, covering the apples and the other third.
  11. Turn out the "burrito" onto a plate, with the seam side down.
  12. Top with ice cream, whipped cream, or whatever you please.

Baleadas
(One of the basic, street foods of Honduras. Sale price: about 35 cents each - more with extras.)

Ingredients:
  • 1 Flour tortilla
  • 2-3 Tbsp Refried red beans
  • 1 Tbsp Grated queso duro, queso blanco, queso frijolero, or other hard, white, Mexican cheese. If none of those are available, Monterey Jack works okay - just isn't what the Hondurans would use.
Instructions:
  1. Heat a flour tortilla in a dry frying pan (or comal, if you know what one is, and have one). Actually, when baleadas are made here, this is the last step of having just made a fresh, flour tortilla from scratch. It's hard to beat, but pre-made flour tortillas are okay, in a pinch.
  2. Spread 2-3 tablespoons of refried red beans onto one half of the tortilla. Usually, of course, you would just take some out of the huge pot of refried red beans you have waiting on the stove just for making baleadas.
  3. Sprinkle the cheese over the beans, fold the tortilla in half, and enjoy. Optional, additional fillings include scrambled eggs [that's my personal favourite - also the most common], sausage, chunks of pork, raw onion, jalapeño pepper slices, etc.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Flour Tortillas by labradors ([b]Apple-Pie "Burrit...)
Oh Labs, I did something like that a hundred years ago and it was great! (altho I might have started with a can of apple pie filling and doctored it if I remember right)

"Me, too. LOL " - which, the ideas or the wine, Jeanette??

I like to make my own chips when I have some tortillas hanging around.
Mexican pizzas
cut in rounds and bake in muffin cups - fill with goodies (refried beans, sausage, cheese, etc.)

Wraps with -
Moo Shu pork or chicken filling
scrambled eggs with goodies like ham, bacon or spam and cheeses

Or, I bet the kids would love this one -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pineapple 'n' Ham Sandwich Roll-ups
Serving Size : 6
6 corn tortillas (about 6-inches)
1 8-ounce package cream cheese with pineapple -- softened
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
1 6-ounce package thinly sliced ham (about 18 slices)
6 lettuce leaves (6 to 12)

In small bowl, combine cream cheese, nuts and spice. Mix well. For each roll-up, Briefly cook corn tortilla on both sides in non-stick skillet (about 1 minute). Do not brown. Cool slightly.

Spread about 1/6 of the cream cheese mixture over tortilla to within 1/2 inch of edge. Lay 3 thin slices of ham, overlapping across center of tortilla. Top with 1 or 2 lettuce leaves. Roll up and wrap in plastic wrap.

Source:
"The Tortilla Industry Association"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Can also be made with wheat flour or whole wheat flour tortillas (about 6 1/2- to 8-inch size. It is not necessary to heat wheat flour or whole wheat flour tortillas before making roll-ups.

Huevos Rancheros
Tortilla Lasagna

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lunch Burritos

Serving Size : 16
2 cups brown rice -- uncooked
4 cups water
60 ounces black beans -- 4 15-ounce cans
30 ounces pinto beans -- 2 cans
1 whole kernel corn -- (10 ounces) frozen -- 10 ounces
10 ounces tomatoes with green chilies
16 flour tortillas -- 10-inch
1 pound cheddar cheese -- shredded -- shredded

Combine rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and cool.

Place black beans and pinto beans into a colander or strainer, and rinse. Add corn and diced tomatoes with green chilies, and toss to mix. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in rice and cheese.

Divide the mixture evenly among the tortillas, and roll up. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, place into a large freezer bag, and freeze. Reheat as needed in the microwave for lunch or snacks. Serve with additional salsa.

Yield: "16 pieces"

Description:
"Suzanne/dksg posted this
1/06" "http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/

---

Hmmm, don't remember Suzanne. Anyway there are a few ideas for you - have fun,Erin.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Flour Tortillas by cjs (Oh Labs, I did somet...)
The wraps are a great idea, Jean. I would vote for:

Chicken-Caesar Wraps
  1. Cut some Romaine lettuce into a chiffonade (roll a few of the leaves into a tight cylinder shape then slice across the cylinder to produce long, thin strips of Romaine).
  2. Add some cooked chicken, Caesar-salad dressing, and maybe some sliced onions, along with some freshly grated Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses, and toss until everything is well distributed.
  3. Wrap and eat!

Hummus wraps
  1. Spread some hummus onto a tortilla.
  2. Add Romaine-lettuce chiffonade (see above), grated carrots, roasted red bell peppers, and crumbled Feta cheese.
  3. Wrap and eat!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?