Gooseberries??
  Re: (...)
While I slog through 0 degree temperatures here, I, like others on this forum am planning my garden. I'd like to take advantage of some specials that some of my catalogs are offering and add to my blueberry patch, but a gooseberry plant has caught my eye. I have no experience with this berry.

Anyone out there have one or can you offer any experience in using them? I am assuming that you could make jelly or jam, but I am not sure I want to invest in something just for the purposes of making jam. The book also said pie, but I am wondering if it would come out something like a grape pie, the texture of that just kind of turns me off personally.

Any ideas?
  Re: Gooseberries?? by iBcookin (While I slog through...)
What KIND of gooseberry? The only variety with which I've had any experience is the Chinese gooseberry, which is much better known as the kiwi fruit. If that's the one, then I would stick to eating them plain or other fresh uses, such as to add colour and flavour to a fruit salad. I have, for example, tried "kiwi pancakes," and the taste was SO similar to blueberry pancakes that there really was no point to my having used the kiwis (except for the fact that blueberries are not available where I currently live).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Gooseberries?? by labradors (What KIND of goosebe...)
We used to get wild gooseberries - they can be used in any way a good, tart berry would be used, so hard to tell if you can find enough variety to make it worth your while. Sauces, pies, crisps, etc.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gooseberries?? by cjs (We used to get wild ...)
They are listed as Pixwell Gooseberry. "Succulent, green berry that ripens to a pale pink." Supposed to yield 4-6 quarts per year at maturity, bears the second year.

Still haven't quite decided. Might try just one for kicks and jollies.

Could you freeze them, Jean? I would guess from the pictures they look similar to blueberries, size-wise. I froze lots of blueberries this year.
  Re: Re: Gooseberries?? by iBcookin (They are listed as P...)
I've never tried freezing them - but I'd sure give it a try.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gooseberries?? by cjs (I've never tried fre...)
We have TONS of gooseberries here---almost all year round-----From what I can discern, they are used as blueberries. I have not used them BUT maybe I will try them for a challenge.....watch this space!!! good nudge, iBcookin
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Gooseberries?? by Roxanne 21 (We have TONS of goos...)
And are yours like what I described? I think I am going to give it a shot and see.
  Re: Re: Gooseberries?? by iBcookin (And are yours like w...)
Yes, they are---sorry I did not see this sooner
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy