Pineapple Crisp
  Re: Pineapple Crisp by cjs (I was afraid this wo...)
Okay All,

I'm making this sinful dessert again this weekend. The hubby mentioned he would like the topping to be a little "crisper". Can anyone tell me what adjustment I should make?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by BarbaraS (Okay All,[br][br]I'm...)
Other than baking longer, I don't know what to tell you. I made it again this week and added coconut and walnuts. Oddly enough, I did not like it as well as the original recipe. I think the nuts were ok, but the coconut was too much. Such a bummer. I would be interested in hearing results of others who have played with ingredients.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by chef_Tab (Other than baking lo...)
Hmmmm..

Theresa, I picked up unsweetened coconut from Whole Foods, and it tastes good! Maybe I'll just wait until the last 5 minutes to sprinkle it on to toast it a little.

My first thought was "more buttah"!!! But then hubby mentioned that only the edges got crispy so I'm thinking, some other moisture in the crumble mix.

I'll just cut the pina and drain some juices to add at the last minutes of making the crumble mixture, or just drizzle it on. Probably best to just drizzle.

Oh, and I should do this 30 minutes AFTER dinner so I'm not eating it INSTEAD of dinner.

OMG, what a great recipe. Thank you, thank you, thank you JEAN!!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by BarbaraS (Hmmmm..[br][br]There...)
I really like the idea of the coconut with the pineapple - maybe some coconut or banana rum in the pineapple????? Hmmm.

Bob and I were in the Asian market yesterday. There were so many things I wanted to try - apple bananas??? Frozen and canned fruits of all kinds. Some are scary - I don't think anything can be found that they don't eat in Asia - dead or alive. Sheesh - I'm not quite that curious. I learned my lesson with the banana flower (huh Jean???).
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Harborwitch (I really like the id...)
Quote:

I really like the idea of the coconut with the pineapple - maybe some coconut or banana rum in the pineapple?????

... and, so, Sharon brings us the "PiƱa Colada Crisp." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"banana flower" - I get a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about that!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by cjs ("banana flower" - I ...)
That was ghastly! The jackfruit was pretty good though!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Sunday I played with this some more. The first pineapple I got was quite small so we added a can of pineapple in juice, but I drained all off the canned juice and part of the fresh off. I added about an ounce of coconut rum to the pineapple mixture.

For the topping I toasted some coconut and sliced almonds and set them aside. I used 1/2 Splenda brown sugar baking blend, and added 1/4 c oatmeal. I pulsed it in the food processor rather than by hand. I put enough on top to cover the pineapple but didn't use it all.

After it was starting to brown on top I added some of the coconut and almonds and another handfull of the topping mix and popped it back in the oven until bubbly and brown on top. It was much better. Bob and our friend John liked it.
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Harborwitch (Sunday I played with...)
Oh my, that sounds so good. Notes are copied! Thanks!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Mare749 (Oh my, that sounds s...)
I should have added that I still have almost half of the topping left. I've got it frozen for another time.