Pineapple Crisp
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by cjs (Maryann, your variat...)
I'm bringing this back to the top, as I just got around to making it this week. Pineapples here are cheap this week, and very sweet. I had to cut down on the sugar, so did a variation of Maryann's lite version. I used 1/4 cup dark brown sugar . I cut the flour to 1/4 cup, added 3/4 cup rolled oats, and 1 cup toasted chopped almonds. Served warm with vanilla ice cream, it was great. Served cold without the ice cream, it was just as good. Thank you, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Lorraine (I'm bringing this ba...)
about time to make this again... (plus I've added all the variations to play with)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by cjs (about time to make t...)
As much as we love oatmeal in apple crisp, for this recipe, I think the original version is the best, IMHO. If the pineapple is very sweet, then I might cut down on the sugar a little bit. Using brown sugar is a great idea too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Mare749 (As much as we love o...)
I'm dragging this up to the top - tonight Cousin Roy is coming over for dinner and this is the dessert I'm going to make. It's a perfect summer recipe.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Harborwitch (I'm dragging this up...)
I was just thinking the same thing, Sharon! Time to make this again.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Pineapple Crisp by cjs (I was afraid this wo...)
Really, I can seriously bribe my entire commumity with this... Really... so good.

OMG so good!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by luvnit (Really, I can seriou...)
Snicker! Sent a big bowl home for Cousin Harry! Wonder if it will make it. Good grief this is good stuff.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by Harborwitch (Snicker! Sent a big...)
I was going to make it last weekend, but it got cut - time to make it again, tho!! Love this stuff. And, I hope you all think of Aunt Marjean when you make it - Thank heavens she cut this out of the paper for all of us!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by cjs (I was going to make ...)
Gotta make this soon. It was so wonderful. All my neighbors loved it. I made a double batch and that was not enough. THat's okay, keep them wanting more!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pineapple Crisp by luvnit (Gotta make this soon...)
I was all set to make this but the pineapple was so good, I wanted to eat it raw. Since I had told DH I was planning to make it, I decided to do half the recipe with canned sliced pineapple. I ended up doing an adaptation of the adaptation. DH thought it was good and since it was so easy I should do it again. Here's what I did: I used 1 can (20oz) sliced Dole which I cut into small pieces. I added 2 TBS. dark brown sugar, 1 oz Capt. Morgan's coconut rum, 1/2 TBS. Kraft minute tapioca and a little over 4 TBS. of the reserved juice in the can. I let the mixture sit for the time it took me to gather and process the topping ingredients and wash the measuring spoons etc. about 15-20 minutes. In my mini food processor I put 6 TBS. regular Quaker oats, 2 TBS. unbleached KAF AP flour, 2 TBS. dark brown sugar, and pulsed till mixed and then added 2 TBS. unsalted cold butter butter cut into small bits, and a small pinch of kosher salt. I divided the pineapple into 2 round Corningware pint bowls, then put half of the oat/flour mixture on top. Put them on a shallow baking sheet and put them in my Krups convection toaster oven with the rack at its lowest setting. I baked them on the preset tart setting which effectively baked them at 450 for 20 minutes. I was going to add shredded coconut but decided to wait and I am glad I didn't, ditto for the almonds, at least when using canned pineapple.
As you can see, super easy and quick and with ingredients I always have on hand, a huge plus. I had some of mine while still hot and thought it was ok. I had it with some vanilla gelato. The top was a little too done and dry.
Here are the changes I am planning to make when I try again:
1.Lower the temp next time, on the convection setting to 400°F.
2. Reduce the oatmeal to 5 TBS. ( I had plenty of topping),
3. 2 TBS. butter might not be enough, so I'll try 3 next time and melt it before adding.
4. Add 1/4 tsp. of Princess cake flavoring to the melted butter.
5. Add 1/4 tsp. of Penzeys cinnamon to the topping.

DH said he could taste the coconut flavor, but I could not. I generally prefer fruit dishes cold, so I am reserving final judgment until I eat the second portion, now in the fridge. Making it in individual dishes allows me to eat mine at leisure, so I will do that again, or even put in LC ramekins for individual servings. The tiny Villa Dolce gelato containers are perfect for 2 portions.

After I perfect it for my taste with the canned, I will then try it with fresh since it is so cheap and good now. BTW, I just got the Vacuvin slicer/corer (the 3 size one) and love it.

Thank you all for the recipe and the adaptation, DH was very happy you bumped it.