Delacata?
  Re: (...)
What does Patagonian toothfish and squid have in common with US farm raised catfish?
The first was re named Chilean sea bass and the second was changed on menus to calamari--sales soared. Soon you will see this catfish refered to as "delacata" in fine dining circles and grocery stores according to SAVEUR's current issue.
They also mention that farm raised catfish is probably the only fish that taste better than the wild caught. They are right.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Delacata? by Old Bay (What does Patagonian...)
¡Toda bien!

I love all three of those
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Delacata? by farnfam (¡Toda bien![br][br]I...)
Catfish!!! My favorite fish! that's interesting. I'm memorizing "Delacata"!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I just read an article about this. It seems Cat Cora is involved somehow.

Quote:

The trademarked Delacata, which celebrity chef Cat Cora has signed on to endorse, will be what filet mignon is to beef, he says.

To read the whole article: Farmer's Pond Blogspot
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Delacata? by luvnit (I just read an artic...)
Quote:

I just read an article about this. It seems Cat Cora is involved somehow.

[blockquote]Quote:

The trademarked Delacata, which celebrity chef Cat Cora has signed on to endorse, will be what filet mignon is to beef, he says.

To read the whole article: Farmer's Pond Blogspot

[/blockquote]

"Cat" Cora is the national spokesperson for the Farm Raised Catfish Assoc. Nice catch ( )--wonder if she will change her name to Delacata Cora??
  Re: Re: Delacata? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
it has a ring to it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Uh, isn't calamari squid????? That has always been my undertanding. I thought catfish was just catfish - unless it is the imported farm raised catfish from Vietnam; then it is called Basa.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Delacata? by Harborwitch (Uh, isn't calamari s...)
LOL! Too funny! I didn't see the "cat" connection until you pointed it out.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Delacata? by Harborwitch (Uh, isn't calamari s...)
Quote:

Uh, isn't calamari squid????? That has always been my undertanding. I thought catfish was just catfish - unless it is the imported farm raised catfish from Vietnam; then it is called Basa.

I've never heard of Basa, but yes, calamari and squid are the same, it just sells better if you call it calamari. The catfish farmers are playing the same game--they are betting that delacata will sell better than catfish so they are changing the name--you get more for polenta than grits, Chilean sea bass than Caladonian toothfish, filet mignon than beef tenderloin. Clever devils--
  Re: Re: Delacata? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
bottom feeders just doesn't have the same ring does it??
www.achefsjourney.com