St. Patty's Day Is Coming!!
  Re: (...)
I love St. Patrick's Day!! It's coming and I just found what I'm making for dinner that night....
[Image: cornedbeefpizza.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage Pizza

For the toppings:
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil -- plus more for the pan
3 cups sliced green cabbage
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon pickling spices -- tied securely in cheesecloth
1 large potato -- peeled and thinly sliced
Freshly ground pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
6 ounces sliced corned beef

(I'm using my own dough, so didn't copy the recipe for that - their amount was based on 3 cups flour/1 cup liquid)

Meanwhile, prepare the toppings: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, season with salt and cook until just soft, about 5 minutes. Add the pickling spices and just enough water to cover.

Simmer over low heat, covered, until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the cabbage and set aside (discard spices).

Place a pizza stone in the oven, if you have one, and preheat to 500 degrees.

Toss the potato with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a single layer on a baking sheet until golden, about 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll one into a 14-inch round (keep the remaining dough covered). Place the round on a floured pizza peel (if baking on a stone) or a large oiled pizza pan; drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.

Scatter half of each of the cheeses, corned beef, cabbage and potatoes on top. Season with salt and pepper.

Carefully slip the pizza onto the hot stone, if using, or place the pan in the oven. Cook until golden and crispy, 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.

Description:
"Recipe adapted from Penguin Pizza, Boston for Food Network Magazine"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/corned-beef-and-cabbage-pizza-recipe/index.html"
-
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: St. Patty's Day Is Coming!! by cjs (I love St. Patrick's...)
I will do the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner---we LOVE corned beef and it makes GREAT leftovers-----reubens......YUMMMMMM!!!!!!

Interesting pizza though, Jean............I will keep that on the menu...copied and printed THANKS!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: St. Patty's Day Is Coming!! by Roxanne 21 (I will do the tradit...)
I'm not sure what I'm fixing. I just found out that because of the meds I'm on I'm not supposed to eat cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussles sprouts, garlic, grapefruit, pomegranate, and a whole ton more of my favorites. How about corned beef and turnips Sheesh.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: St. Patty's Day Is Coming!! by Harborwitch (I'm not sure what I'...)
Gosh, I hope those meds are temporary! It would be awful if you had to give up all those wonderfully nutritious and delicious foods forever!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Oh Sharon, I remember when William was on meds that prevented him from having most green veggies. Meal planning was a real challenge. I'm glad those days are behind us...at least for now. I hope your time is short...we had almost 2 years...YIKES!

I was thinking I'd do Attie's Corned Beef recipe this year. Although, the urge to grill it is really strong! I'll be fixing the traditional cabbage and potatoes, but separately. Like Roxanne said, William LOVES reubens, so I'll be looking for the largest corned beef I can find!

Jean, I'll run your recipe by William, but I'm not sure about the pizza. It sounds interesting, though. BTW, will you do shredded cheese or pillows?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Just have to have Soda Bread to go with the corned beef:

White Soda Bread

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups (16 oz) of all purpose flour.
  • 1 Teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 Teaspoon salt
  • 14 oz of buttermilk
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly crease and flour a cake pan.
  2. In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.
  3. Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape).
  4. Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.
  5. Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
  6. The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.
  7. Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.
Important note from a great website about Soda Bread (source of the above recipe):
Quote:

If your "soda bread" has raisins, it's not "soda bread! It's called "Spotted Dog" or "Railway Cake"! If it contains raisins, eggs, baking powder, sugar or shortening, it's called "cake", not "bread." All are tasty, but not traditional Irish Soda Bread!

Also:
Quote:

"Corned Beef and Cabbage" is considered a traditional Irish dish now although it's really a traditional Irish-American meal created around 1900 when Irish immigrants substituted the cheaper corned beef for traditional Irish bacon (not the frying pan kind). I still enjoy both!

The creation of soda bread and "Corned Beef and Cabbage" came about not to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but as a result of poverty.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: St. Patty's Day Is Coming!! by chef_Tab (Gosh, I hope those m...)
I'm going to talk to the doc - this whole thing is getting out of hand. I've been chowing down on all those foods because they are supposed to be so healthy.

Bob says I should just do what makes me happy! I've got corned beef on the brain now - yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: St. Patty's Day Is Coming!! by Harborwitch (I'm going to talk to...)
I know Sharon, I don't know if I'll be able to wait until then! I thought about corned beef and Attie's recipe two weeks ago and have not been able to get it out of my head!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: St. Patty's Day Is Coming!! by Gourmet_Mom (I know Sharon, I don...)
The best Corned Beef recipe I've found to make is from the book "Not your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook."

You put the rinsed brisket on top of quartered red potatoes, carrots, and onions. Use the seasoning packet that comes with the roast plus some cloves, and black peppercorns and a little brown sugar. Pour 12 ounces of beer over the roast and add water to cover. cook on low for 9 to 11 hours. Remove the brisket and vegetables and turn up the cooker to high. Add cabbage wedges and cook them for 20-30 minutes or until crisp-tender. Serve with a nice mustard.
  Re: Re: St. Patty's Day Is Coming!! by HomeCulinarian (The best Corned Beef...)
Oh, Jeanette, I usually make my corn beef in the slow cooker because it seems to lock in all that flavor. Never thought about using beer tho! That is a great idea. I guess my St Patty's plans are set now. Thanks!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!