chocolate curls?
  Re: (...)
Does anyone want to instruct me through making these? I used a technique found online to make chocolate curls for our anniversary cake and it didn't do too well (fortunately, the lighting was low that evening...). I melted the chocolate, spread it in a loaf pan lined with plastic then, after it hardened, turned it out and shaved (or attempted to) curls with a cheese slicer.

I need to make white chocolate curls for my Dad's birthday cake next weekend and am dreading it already. Any advice would be appreciated!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: chocolate curls? by foodfiend (Does anyone want to ...)
If you already have a block of the melting or coating chocolate, I have had pretty good sucess with a potato/carrot peeler.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: chocolate curls? by farnfam (If you already have ...)
Well shoot why didn't I think of that..I was using a curling iron and making a horrible mess

Vicci I agree with Cis and have even used the big slicer on a grater.
  Re: Re: chocolate curls? by DFen911 (Well shoot why didn'...)
You think that's bad, you should see what happened when I tried the curling BRUSH!!!
Soon Rob will be here to say something about that game they play in Canada--Curling, and that would involve some good sized chunks of chocolate MMMMmm
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: chocolate curls? by farnfam (You think that's bad...)
Thanks for the suggestions. I was forced to consume my mistakes last time, and I'm currently *trying* to be good before the baked-goods gluttony of Easter begins...

Hmmmm, a hunk of milk chocolate the size and weight of a curling stone... I could handle that!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: chocolate curls? by foodfiend (Thanks for the sugge...)
I use the potato peeler too. I also find that some chocolates work better than others, so part of the problem may not even be your technique. White chocolate usually works better because it is creamier. Good luck!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: chocolate curls? by chef_Tab (I use the potato pee...)
temperature of the chocolate plays a part in it also. During our chocolate phase at school, my body heat made the chocolate melt so quickly (I was always up to my elbows in melting chocolate!!), that Chef Bui finally told me to forget ever working with it and go find some lemons to play with.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: chocolate curls? by chef_Tab (I use the potato pee...)
As already said: potato peeler.

Quote:

Soon Rob will be here to say something about that game they play in Canada--Curling, and that would involve some good sized chunks of chocolate

Hmmm...How about a vanilla sheet cake as the ice, Lindor truffles as the stones, and something fashioned from a peppermint stick as the broom?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: chocolate curls? by labradors (As already said: pot...)
I put the block of chocolate in the fridge for a few minutes and then find that the potato peeler is the BEST!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: chocolate curls? by Roxanne 21 (I put the block of c...)
Aren't "chocolate curls" the arm exercises you perform by raising a bar of chocolate to your mouth to eat it? I guess, as with all exercise, the keys are intensity and repetition.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?