REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche
  Re: (...)
Made this on Oscar day and never got around to typing a review. This is from Issue 61, Feb 07 - the Latin recipe issue.

This was great! The mango cream sauce is essential - I wouldn't bother making the recipe without it. The only change I made was to use shrimp only - I just didn't have calamari or scallops on hand. All of the components - the cucumber, fennel, red onion, ginger, the three fresh fruit juices, etc. really worked well together. Then topped with the pureed spicy mango cream sauce - yum!

Served them in martini glass with blue corn chips. This was "summer in a glass". I'd give it a 9 (only because I'm real stingy with 10's).
  Re: REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche by Trixxee (Made this on Oscar d...)
Thanks for the review Trixxee! I have yet to try a ceviche, so this sounds like one I need to try.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the revie...)
You must try a Cerviche, Daph. I know you'd love it. That one sounds very good Trixee, I'm going to try it. There's a few others in older C@H's, they are good also, particularly the Rick Bayless one comes to mind.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche by farnfam (You must try a Cervi...)
To me, this not a real ceviche - I always think of ceviche as being raw seafood that has been somewhat "cooked" by the acid in lemon or lime juices. But I may have a different definition than some.

Nonetheless, whatever this really is, it was good!
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche by Trixxee (To me, this not a re...)
It's not a ceviche - wonder why they used that name? But, it does look like a tasty dish - whatever it's called.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the revie...)
You know Daphne, I don't think I have ever had Ceviche before either. Now, Jean says this recipe isn't ceviche. I am sure Jean is right, so I think we need to find a good ceviche recipe and try it!

I haven't read the recipe from Issue 61, but this is what Wikipedia says about defining ceviche:

Quote:

Ceviche (also spelled as cebiche or seviche) is a form of citrus-marinated seafood appetizer, popular in mainly Latin American countries like Peru, Panama, Ecuador, Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, and Chile. Both finfish and shellfish are used; finfish is typically raw while shellfish is typically cooked.

Now off I go to look at Issue No. 61!

NOTE ADDED LATER: I just went to look for a good ceviche recipe online and there are several. Maybe Jean could recommend a good ceviche for us to try? Maybe shrimp?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche by cjs (It's not a ceviche -...)
True, Trixxee and Jean: ceviche is defined by its being raw fish marinated in lemon juice, lime juice, or sour orange juice (naranja agria, chopped onions, salt, spices and, often, olive oil.

Trixxee the small mangoes (a smaller, all-yellow-skinned variety, as opposed to the larger ones that get a mixed, red/yellow skin) are just starting to be available ripe, here, and I'd love to try that mango cream sauce you mentioned. Would you mind posting that, please?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche by labradors (True, Trixxee and Je...)
As I remember fixing it, I just covered cubes of fish with citrus (mostly used Lime) juice (to cover) and left until completely opague throughout. 4-6 hours??? break a piece apart and see if it looks 'cooked' You can add onion also. Just make sure there is enough juice for the fish to float freely otherwise it will 'cook' unevenly.

But, in the 80s when we started hearing about worms in fish, I got a little timid because I didn't have a source for fish that I trusted completely. so have not done it for years.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche by cjs (As I remember fixing...)
To anyone interested, this is a 'lightly cooked' then marinated ceviche recipe for shrimp. It also forwarns of the 'worm' issue.

Shrimp Ceviche article
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Citrus Ceviche by luvnit (To anyone interested...)
Sure Labs! Recipe couldn't be easier. I used sour cream and Vietnamese chili garlic sauce (I'm not sure how different that is than sriracha).

Mango Sauce

Puree:
1 cup ripe mango, peeled, chopped
2 T. Mexican crema or sour cream
1 t. sriracha or hot sauce
4 sprigs fresh cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime

Puree all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

I remember saying to myself, this sauce would be pretty darn good on a fish taco, just for something a little different.