The Green Results are in!!!
  Re: (...)
Ok so the debate of low and slow vs. medium and short.

I placed the ham hocks in the pan and just barely covered them with cold water. I also add 1 medium onion diced. I let these cook for about 2 1/2 hours. I rendered very little meat off the bones but just enough for some "Oh ham!" reaction.

Next came the greens. I had 5 bunches of collard greens and 3 bunches turnip greens and 1 bunch mustard greens.

I removed the ham hocks and added the collard greens. I then got what little bit of meat I had off the hocks and put that back in the pot. While they cooked for about 30 minutes I prepped the other greens. I then added them to pot and let them cook for about 20 minutes. I tested for tenderness. The turnip greens and mustard greens were getting there and the collard greens had a bit more to go. So I let them cook for another 15-20 minutes. At then end of 20 minutes I decided they had reached the point of "oh this is good" stage. I turned the heat to warm and fried the chicken. As the chicken was resting )(12 minutes per side) I turned the heat off on the greens.

So they cooked on low for the 24 minutes while the chicken was cooking and then sat for 10 minutes while the chicken rested.

End result - FANTASTIC!!! I did not add the sugar and I'm glad I didn't. The greens were just wonderful. Such flavor and so tender. I could make an entire meal of just greens!
  Re: The Green Results are in!!! by DFen911 (Ok so the debate of ...)
Sounds like you did it right! Now to try these with my grandmother's cornbread!

Good medium grind cornmeal with enough water to make it thin enough to drop from a spoon. Shortening melted in a cast iron skillet...about an 1/8 of an inch deep. When the shortening is hot enough to sizzle, add cornmeal mixture in spoonfuls...making oval patties. Cook like you would pancakes. When the bottom is crispy and browned and the top is starting to "set", flip them. Continue to cook until golden and crispy.

This may take practice...don't I know. But in the end, you will have a crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, delicious accompaniment for your greens! Much better than baked cornbread....think flattened hushpuppy, but a little creamier on the inside!

Hey, I just realized, I haven't tried frying polenta yet...I bet it's close to the same, but a little creamier on the inside!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The Green Results are in!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds like you did ...)
Daphne, I may be way off base - the northern = pacific norther -that I am -

Isn't this more like spoon bread? Fried cornbread pancakes? Sounds oh so good. YUM.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: The Green Results are in!!! by esgunn (Daphne, I may be wa...)
Kinda, Erin...but crispier. Like I said, think small hush puppy pancake.
Daphne
  Re: The Green Results are in!!! by DFen911 (Ok so the debate of ...)
I was thinking about the conversation you had with the two women at the store. I have cooked greens before and never had to cook them for 'hours and hours'. I am sure that it's the difference bewteen 'older generation and younger generation' cooking methods.

My grandma still cooks a steak for my grandpa til it's shoe leather. No wonder he doesn't like steak!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: The Green Results are in!!! by luvnit (I was thinking about...)
Oh Daphne those do sound good I wonder how a bit of chopped green chili's in the mix would taste.

And not that you all are keeping tallies, but I sure am. Tried yet another fried chicken recipe..bomb Hubby liked it. I must have this fantasy fried chicken in my head that doesn't exist hahaha.
  Re: Re: The Green Results are in!!! by DFen911 (Oh Daphne those do s...)
Green Chilis in the cornbread? It tastes wonderful, also seeded and diced jalapenos are great too!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: The Green Results are in!!! by bjcotton (Green Chilis in the ...)
I'm pretty sure it would work, Denise. Never tried it. I'll try to make some next week or weekend, and document the process. It seems to be a method unique to my family....LOL! But it sure is good! The one down side (other than being fried in shortening) is that it is not good, at least to me, eaten cold. So I only make as much as we will eat at one meal.
Daphne
  Re: Re: The Green Results are in!!! by Gourmet_Mom (I'm pretty sure it w...)
Duly noted...gonna rummage thru my cupboards and see if I have any cornmeal now