Heard about this new TV series?
  Re: (...)
Just heard about The Chopping Block - a new "reality" series about restaurants and cooking. Here's the description from the NBC website. You guys know these personalities better than I do, so what do you think?

Quote:

Celebrated chef and restaurateur Marco Pierre White (UK's "Hell's Kitchen") serves up a new original cooking competition series "The Chopping Block," in which the British Michelin star chef offers neophyte hopeful chefs/restaurateurs a chance to compete in America's greatest restaurant challenge. "The Chopping Block" will expose the unseen pitfalls and behind-the-scenes madness that goes into opening a restaurant -- with a grand prize of $250,000. The controversial and unpredictable White represents the contestants' best chance to make their dreams come true, as he is one of the world's most notable chefs and restaurateurs and they will all be under his critical eye.

The heat is on when White ushers the contestants -- split into two teams of four couples each -- to two empty restaurant spaces, side-by-side, in the middle of Manhattan. There, they are given less than a week to accomplish a multitude of tasks, including a design and makeover of each space, planning a menu, and generating buzz-worthy publicity to ensure a crowd on opening night. Both establishments will open at the same time and will be competing for the same customers -- against 26,000 other restaurants in the world's busiest (and hungriest) city.

In each episode, noted food critics will be assigned to observe the chaos that inevitably unfolds on opening night and after the dust has settled, White will return with the reviews. The worst-performing team will have to plead their case -- because one couple will be asked to remove their aprons as they are sent home.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Heard about this new TV series? by labradors (Just heard about [i]...)
This looks like a great cooking reality show! Can't wait til it starts.

Here is a link to a video preview: The Chopping Block
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Heard about this new TV series? by luvnit (This looks like a gr...)
We watched it last night. One thing that really turned me off was the judges, not sure where they got them. I don't think it will be on our list of "must watch".
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Heard about this new TV series? by Lorraine (We watched it last n...)
I would have to agree with Lorraine, but then I never like any of the food network judges anyway.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Heard about this new TV series? by Mare749 (I would have to agre...)
Actually, that's what makes almost ALL of those shows difficult to watch, but for the rest of the show.

Then again, I've said it before about "reality" shows, and I'll say it again: "If they want these shows to be REALITY, then all the people who lose on Survivor should die."
  Re: Re: Heard about this new TV series? by labradors (Actually, that's wha...)
That's been on for about a month now. I've seen 4 episodes. It's ok..but Ted Allen...I just can't get past him being one of the "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" co-hosts.
  Re: Re: Heard about this new TV series? by DFen911 (That's been on for a...)
A month? Why are they advertising it as "Series premier"?
  Re: Re: Heard about this new TV series? by labradors (A month? Why are th...)
You guys are talking about two different shows. "Chopped" is the Food Network offering with Ted Allen. "Chopping Block" is the MPW series that premieres Wednesday night.

All I can think of is the heat that Rachel Ray took on the other forum for prostituting herself on TV and here comes one of the most respected chefs in the world with his reality show.

Actually, I have watched the BBC offering of a similar show (those dang Brits), called "Last Restaurant Standing." The couples are offered a chance to open with a famous French chef, Ray Something (sorry, a gray hair moment, his name escapes me). I am assuming that MPW will be a little rougher on the contestants.
  Re: Re: Heard about this new TV series? by iBcookin (You guys are talking...)
It's hard to get past Ted Allen on Chopped - but we're taping Chopping Block (I think the first show is Wednesday - here. anyway).
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Heard about this new TV series? by cjs (It's hard to get pas...)
Ray LeBlanc (sp?) - there, I've had my coffee, the brain cells kicked in. Had to do bloodwork this morning and couldn't have coffee until afterward. Now that's hardship and obviously affects my memory, LOL!

Ted Allen - just really annoying. I've watched a few episodes, loved the one where the chef dropped the piece of meat on the floor, called the 5 second rule, picked it up and proceeded to cook and serve it, didn't even wash it off, for cryin' out loud!

Wished I would have paid attention to what resto he worked in!