Jalapeno Bacon
  Re: (...)
I remember seeing this on the Bacon of the Month Club website, but now others are catching on...

I'd love to try this bacon: Jalapeno Bacon!!!!!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Jalapeno Bacon by luvnit (I remember seeing th...)
mmmmmm bacon! The jalapeno sounds good as does the vanilla bourbon.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Bacon by chef_Tab (mmmmmm bacon! The ja...)
Oh piddle, Laura - I thought there was going to be a recipe!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Bacon by cjs (Oh piddle, Laura - I...)
Quote:

I thought there was going to be a recipe!!

Same here. I thought it was going to be a copy/paste of what I had just seen on PlateOnline. Since it wasn't, here it is, for those who are interested. I haven't tried it yet, though. Ugh! On second though, the copy/paste didn't look so good. Have made some formatting changes.

JALAPEÑO BACON
Chef Chris Santos
The Stanton Social - New York City, NY, USA
Yield: 4 slices

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp Jalapeño powder
  • 1 tsp Ancho chile powder
  • 1 Jalapeño, seeded, minced
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4 Slices Bacon, slices
Instructions:
  1. Combine ingredients and coat bacon.
  2. Stack bacon and reserve 24 hours, refrigerated.
  3. Bake at 300 degrees F for 18 minutes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Bacon by cjs (Oh piddle, Laura - I...)
Seriously Jean I have been looking for a recipe for about a year... now hear comes Labs with some recipe we should try. How about that!
Laura
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Bacon by luvnit (Seriously Jean I hav...)
BTW, I DO plan to try this, but shall have to adjust it to what I have available. Fresh jalapeños are easy. In fact, they are a major export of Honduras. The powders, on the other hand, are NOT available here.

Instead, I shall use chipotle powder (that someone brought me) for the jalapeño powder, and I shall grind up a guajillo chile in place of the ancho powder. Actually, I think that may be even better than what the recipe says!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Bacon by luvnit (Seriously Jean I hav...)
This is real recipe, from my brother's family-in-law who are Jewish. But they eat bacon and pork products.

His Grandma-in-law used to flour bacon and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.

I bake my bacon, but never floured it. My SIL insists its the best. I'm going to try this in the future, but I'll do the jalapeno for a few slices.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Bacon by BarbaraS (This is real recipe,...)
Let's make this simple--put some bacon grease (2TB) in a skillet--slice a jalapeno in half lengthwise, include the seeds--sautee the jalapeno until soft-remove the pepper, set aside. Add 6 slices thicked sliced peppered bacon, sprinkle with cumin powder on one side, and when you turn it sprinkle with ancho chili powder on the other--fry, turning until crisp--slice the jalapeno and serve with the bacon for those who want it--or who wants to "show off".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Bacon by BarbaraS (This is real recipe,...)
I am a bacon baker too Barbara! I love it that way. Less mess too. My husband loves it baked. I have never floured it. I wonder what that does. I am gonna have to try that.

Oh and this Jalapeno Bacon too. I can't wait to try this!

Old Bay, since you are from Texas, I am sure you know your way around peppers. I think I will take your modifications and run with them instead of hunting for jalapeno powder. It may be difficult to find here in the midwest where ANYTHING 'seasoned' is considered 'spicy'.
Laura
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Bacon by luvnit (I am a bacon baker t...)
Might try both (no, all three ) ways - but I do like the idea of it 'aging' 24 hours with the coating.

Flouring bacon pieces - how interesting. probably give a nice thin crust as you get when flouring other pieces of meat before frying/bakiing.

Trying Bill's method, wouldn't that be some good pan gravy????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com