Beef Bourguignon Help!
  Re: (...)
Hello All,

I have a killer Beef Bourguignon recipe that I've only made once and would like to make again this Sunday. It calls for 2 1/2 lbs of chuck to be cut into 1" cubes and browned before throwing in all the rest of the ingredients. After cooking it 1 1/4 hours (per recipe instructions), the chuck was still a little tough.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to tenderize the chuck/cook the chuck longer without turning all the veggies to mush?

I hate to "hot link", but so as not to violate any copyright laws, the recipe can be viewed here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-g...index.html

It's an excellent recipe. For the Pinot Noir, I use Foris. It's from Oregon and very tasty.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Beef Bourguignon Help! by BarbaraS (Hello All,[br][br]I ...)
I would suggest using a 'needler' tenderizer or have your butcher run the roast through their 'cube steak' tenderizer. I have had mine do that before and it works beautifully. Then I have nothing to clean at home.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignon Help! by luvnit (I would suggest usin...)
I'd pull the meat out and let it simmer in the pot in the oven at 250 for about 2 hours if you have the time. Put the veggies in the fridge which will stop the cooking process and you can heat them up with the meat when it's done.
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignon Help! by DFen911 (I'd pull the meat ou...)
Quote:

I'd pull the meat out and let it simmer in the pot in the oven at 250 for about 2 hours if you have the time. Put the veggies in the fridge which will stop the cooking process and you can heat them up with the meat when it's done.

I agree, but I wonder if she got an inferior piece of meat. Chuck, cut properly, should not be tough cooked that way. I've been fooled a few times. Even trimming the chuck it was wonderful.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignon Help! by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I agree with Bill - I think you got a bad chuck. I'd just try it again. maybe a little smaller pieces. And is your oven calibrated correctly?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignon Help! by cjs (I agree with Bill - ...)
This time I'll get my chuck at Whole Foods.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Beef Bourguignon Help! by BarbaraS (This time I'll get m...)
Point well taken. It does depend on how you cut it to make sure you go against the grain. Everytime I've done chuck I cook it a long time on low, at least 3 hours.