A Great Breakfast or First Course
  Re: (...)
I found this recipe in the LCBO Food & Drink Holiday 2008 issue. I had fixed it before, but made it for Paul this morning. It is excellent. I did; however,add a couple of gratings of nutmeg.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Eggs w/Mushroom Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Eggs-Dairy-Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons butter
4 large eggs
8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms, including shiitake and oyster
4 cups packed baby spinach
3/4 cup whipping cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 drops truffle oil or to taste

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Butter four 1-cup ramekins or glass dishes. Break an egg into each one and top each egg with a tiny knob of butter.

Place ramekins into a baking dish and fill dish with boiling water halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Place in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until egg whites are opaque and yolk is just set but still runny. It will continue to cook once the sauce is spooned over it. Remove ramekins from water bath.

While eggs are cooking, heat remaining butter in a skillet over high heat and add mushrooms. Sauté for 2 minutes or until mushrooms are just cooked. Add spinach and cook 1 minute longer or until spinach wilts. Add cream and bring to boil and boil for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper and add truffle oil.

Divide sauce between ramekins and spoon over eggs. Serve at once with some crusty bread to sop up sauce.

Source:
"Food & Drink Holiday 2008"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I cooked the eggs a little longer since I like them a little better done. The sauce had to cook a little longer too for it to thicken sufficiently.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: A Great Breakfast or First Course by bjcotton (I found this recipe ...)
You know Billy, even with the slightly runny egg, this sounds good to me. (I think it may be the fact it's on the bottom.) It doesn't sound hard, and I bet it looks elegant, too! Add some bacon on the side, and I won't need to eat 'til dinner! Copied and saved.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A Great Breakfast or First Course by Gourmet_Mom (You know Billy, even...)
Oh my, this does sound very good, and Daph, you're right seems very elegeant too. Would make a good weekend morning treat.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: A Great Breakfast or First Course by farnfam (Oh my, this does sou...)
That's what I'm thinking, Cis! I also think champagne would be the perfect accompaniment! The first Saturday I can get my butt out of bed and make this before William gets off to the camp, I'm making it. On second thought, it being individual sizes, I could get up after he leaves and take it out to the farm and serve him there...wouldn't that be cool!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: A Great Breakfast or First Course by bjcotton (I found this recipe ...)
Billy, how dare you post an egg recipe Don't you know I cook about 300 eggs and omelets every day??? Just teasing, this sounds very good. Believe it or not, I haven't lost my taste for eggs....yet! Copied and printed, thank you!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: A Great Breakfast or First Course by pjcooks (Billy, how dare you ...)
Thanks for posting the recipe,Billy. We ddidn't get that issue, I think the staff ran off with it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: A Great Breakfast or First Course by Gourmet_Mom (That's what I'm thin...)
Quote:

That's what I'm thinking, Cis! I also think champagne would be the perfect accompaniment! The first Saturday I can get my butt out of bed and make this before William gets off to the camp, I'm making it. On second thought, it being individual sizes, I could get up after he leaves and take it out to the farm and serve him there...wouldn't that be cool!

OOoooo, champagne, that'd be perfect. This Saturday for sure!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: A Great Breakfast or First Course by farnfam ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh I think I found a new dish for Father's Day Thanks Billy!
  Re: Re: A Great Breakfast or First Course by DFen911 (Oh I think I found a...)
Oh yes, Saturday morning brunch, here we come! Billy, please tell me you had some truffle oil to use and Paul liked it!!! (I sure don't remember seeing this on in the mag. thanks Billy!)

...and maybe just the lightest sprinkling of fontina cheese as it comes out of the oven.

Meet everyone at the brunch table Saturday a.m.!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Great Breakfast or First Course by cjs (Oh yes, Saturday mor...)
Gosh, the only problem I see with this recipe is that I wonder if everyone would need two ramekins full! It does sound really good. Love the idea of topping with fontina too.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!