Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes
  Re: (...)
What kind of quiche does everyone like to make? I think I'm going to make one tonight - haven't made one in ages. It's been so long that I'm not even sure what I used to make - mostly bacon and green chile I think.....
  Re: Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes by Trixxee (What kind of quiche ...)
Swiss cheese, bacon, onion, bacon, bacon, bacon, more cheese, bacon...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes by BarbaraS (Swiss cheese, bacon,...)
Man, I haven't made a quiche in years - I've kinda morphed into frittatas - healthier, no pie crust. so, I can't help.

But, here is one that if and when I ever do one again, I'll make this one from Lorraine!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

HAM & LEEK QUICHE - LORRAINE/GOURMET

1 round of refrigerated pie dough for a 9 inch pie, ( from a 15 oz package) not a preshaped frozen pie shell
3/4 lb leeks, ( about 3 medium, white and pale green part only)
2 Tbsps unsalted butter
1/4 lb thinly sliced smoked ham
3 oz Gruyere, coarsely grated, about 1 Cup
3 oz Italian Fontina, coarsely grated, about 1 cup
3 oz whole milk mozzarella, coarsely grated, about 1 Cup
3 large eggs
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 3/4 cups creme fraiche

Prebake pie dough in pieplate according to package instructions, then remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350F.

Meanwhile, halve leeks lenghtwise and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces, then wash well in bowl of cold water, agitating leeks. ( Their words, not mine). Lift out and drain leeks in a colander and pat dry. Melt butter in a 10 inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat and cook leeks, stirring occasionally until very tender, about 10 minutes.

Line warm pie shell with sliced ham, overlapping layers as necessary to cover bottom and side of shell completely. Toss cheeses together and sprinkle evenly into pie shell ( do not pack cheese ), then spread leeks evenly on top of cheese. Whisk together eggs, nutmeg, pepper until combined well, then whisk in creme fraiche until smooth.

Carefully pour half of custard filling on top of pie filling, gently moving cheese with a spoon to help custard disperse evenly. Slowly add remaining custard in same manner. Cover pie loosely with foil, gently folding edges over crust, ( keep foil from touching top of cheese mixture) and transfer to a baking sheet.

Bake until centre of filling is puffed and set ( centre will be slightly wobbly but not set, about 1 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours). Cool on a rack at least 20 - 30 minutes before serving ( filling will continue to set as it cools) Serve warm or at room temperature.

The leftovers were great cut into thin slivers that night, and seved with a mustard sauce as an app. The oven may have been way off, I had no way of knowing, I took it out after 1 hour. I'll do this one again.

Description:
"I've done this one for both brunch or lunch. Great with a salad, and a glass of wine. Lorraine/Gourmet mag."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium. Exchanges: .

Serving Ideas : When I saw this one in the April Gourmet magazine, I almost glossed over it, until I noticed it was from Bistro Jeanty. I remember Jean telling us about a great lunch she had there ( kippers, sardines, something??), so decided to give it a try. I used a frozen pie crust. I was on holidays,ya know? And I didn't have creme fraiche, so subbed sour creme mixed with cream. ??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes by cjs (Man, I haven't made ...)
Bacon and spinach quiche... I haven't made it in such a long time... now I have to think of where that recipe is from!!!
  Re: Re: Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes by HomeCulinarian (Bacon and spinach qu...)
Poblano chile's and jack cheese. Bacon & spinach, Ham & spinach or ham and leeks, diced peppers and pepperoni. Gads I haven't made one in a long time either. I used to make them a lot for the commercial fishermen's Easter brunches back in the 70's. I think I did one with smoked salmon and cream cheese (with fresh dill, of course).

They were cool because I could make one in a Coleman oven on a camp stove if I had to.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes by Harborwitch (Poblano chile's and ...)
We love quiche and I make them all the time, but I don't use a crust except for special occasions like holidays. Anyway, we like the traditional bacon and swiss, but also like pizza quiche, spinach and bacon, seafood, and salmon quiche. If you don't want to use a pastry pie crust, you can always make one with rice. Let me know if you need the recipe.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes by Mare749 (We love quiche and I...)
Been a long time here also! Spinach and bacon and bacon and swiss are the only ones I've made....I think? Seems like there was one with tomato in it as well as one with roasted red peppers, but haven't a clue...I miss my mind.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes by Mare749 (We love quiche and I...)
My favorite hands down is crab meat and broccoli. Just love it with a Guiness.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes by chef_Tab (My favorite hands do...)
Don't forget about making a quiche with ready made hash browns for a crust. I usually don't make a crust, but made this one (shoot, issue#?, it was a "quick weeknight menu recipe, fairly recent) and it was really good. The hash browns crisped up nicely.

And, of course, it was served with a side of thick bacon....

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Favorite Quiche Combos/Recipes by BarbaraS (Don't forget about m...)
I would be very interested in this hash brown crust if anyone knows which issue in which it appears!! Hint hint hint
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!