Slow Cooker Beef and Beans
  Re: (...)
I sent this recipe to madmax and she raved about the flavors so much, made it for us yesterday and she's right. The flavors are really good and what an economical dinner. I served it over rice.

Slow Cooker Beef and Beans

1 large onion -- coarsely chopped
1 boneless chuck roast -- about 4 to 5 pounds
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Creole or Cajun seasoning blend (if salt-free -- add 1/2 teaspoon salt)
1 dash black pepper
1 dash garlic powder
1/2 cup beef broth
1 large green or red bell pepper -- diced
2 cans baked beans -- (22 to 28 ounces each) your favorite

Sprinkle chopped onions over the bottom of the cooker; place roast on onions. Combine the brown sugar, seasoning blend, pepper, and garlic powder; rub over the roast. Pour the beef broth into the bottom of the crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. Carefully drain off liquids and discard. Add the chopped bell pepper and beans to the pot roast; cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour longer.

Description:
"A delicious seasoned pot roast is slow cooked until tender, then baked beans are added to the pot. A flavorful combination of beef and beans, this is a great budget meal the family will love."
southernfood.about.com/ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I didn't have any Creole or Cajun seasoning blend, so made tis instead - great flavor also.

Creole seasoning:
2 T. each:
onion powder
garlic powder
dried oregano leaves
dried sweet basil

1 T. each:
dried thyme leaves
blak pepper
white pepper
cayene pepper
celery seed

5 T. sweet paprika

combine in a food processor and pulse until well-blended.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Slow Cooker Beef and Beans by cjs (I sent this recipe t...)
This does sound tasty! And all the better it cooks in a slow cooker. Was there still a lot of "sauce" even after draining off the liquids?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Beef and Beans by chef_Tab (This does sound tast...)
This sounds like a great idea for camping. Plug the crockpot in (outside the RV though) and voila! We're going camping in a few weeks and I think I'll do this. You can only bbq so many meals.

I think cornbread would also be good with it.
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Beef and Beans by Trixxee (This sounds like a g...)
That sounds good, Jean. We'll have to be trying that one for sure. Leftovers would probably be good wrapped in a burrito. Copied and saved. Thanks.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Beef and Beans by Mare749 (That sounds good, Je...)
This does sound good. Copied and saved.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Beef and Beans by Mare749 (That sounds good, Je...)
Leftovers wrapped in a burrito! Brilliant!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Beef and Beans by chef_Tab (Leftovers wrapped in...)
Copied and Saved! Thanks Jean. Some good ideas too.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Beef and Beans by bjcotton (Copied and Saved! T...)
After draining, there really was enough 'sauce' - without the rice swimming in it.

Burritos is a really good idea, since we're having the leftovers tonight! This recipe is going in the trailer, that's for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Beef and Beans by cjs (After draining, ther...)
We had this for dinner tonight. It was really good! Looking forward to l/os with burritos!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."