Wine & Cheese Tour
  Re: (...)
I'm doing a Wine & Cheese Tour for Harbinger winery here in town mid-April. Tested recipes for them Tuesday and thought you all might like some ideas for a party.

1. Manchego Cheese slices topped with slices of Quince paste (had trouble finding this, but Central Market has it)
Not sure if I'll put this on crackers or leave as is with the cheese & quince.

2. Brie Couronne served with fig preserves on untoasted bread rounds.

3. Point Reyes Blue in a Pear, Walnut & Blue Cheese Crumble - This one will be spooned into small tasting cups.
[Image: PearWalnutBlueCheseCrumble.jpg]
Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Crumble (an Emeril recipe)

• 6 large pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons Ruby Port (forgot to add, I used my Pear & Port reduction for this - wonderful!)
• 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
• 1/4 cup light brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch baking dish with butter and set aside.

In a bowl, toss the pear slices with the lemon juice. Add 1 tablespoon flour, the sugar, and port, and toss to combine. Arrange in the prepared dish. In a bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour, finely chopped walnuts, brown sugar and salt. Add the butter, working in with your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the pear mixture. Bake until the pears are tender, the juices bubble, and the crust is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.

Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

-----

Herbed Goat Cheese Tart - I didn't use the pastry, I wanted folks to just spoon the tart filling on crackers. But...may not use this one because the cheese fat oozed out and didn't look very appetizing. But the flavor is great! any ideas how to overcome that seepage?
[Image: HerbedGoatCheeseTart.jpg]

Herbed Goat Cheese Tart Gourmet | July 1997

Yield: Serves 6 to 8 as a first course

Pastry Dough
10 ounces soft mild goat cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon chopped mixed fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, and lavender
2 to 3 tablespoons mixed whole fresh herb leaves

On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin roll out dough into a 13-inch round (about 1/8 inch thick) and fit into a 10 or 11-inch round tart pan with a removable rim. Prick dough all over with a fork and chill 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Bake tart shell on a baking sheet in middle of oven 10 minutes, or until almost cooked through but still pale.

In a food processor blend cheeses, yolks, flour, and butter until smooth. Stir in chopped herbs and pour filling into tart shell. Bake tart 20 minutes, or until filling is just set.

Sprinkle tart with herb leaves and continue baking until filling and crust are pale golden. Cool tart in pan on a rack and remove rim. Serve tart warm or at room temperature.

-----
This cheese ball is really a tasty one and the variations will be fun to play with also. I used the Gouda
[Image: GoudaCheeseBall.jpg]

DILLED ONION CHEESE BALL – Everett Herald

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded Gouda cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce for chicken
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion (about 1 onion)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dillweed
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
Assorted crackers and/or flatbread

In a large mixing bowl, let the cream cheese, shredded Gouda and butter stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add milk and Worcestershire; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Stir in the green onion and fresh dill or dried dillweed. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.

Before serving, shape cheese mixture into a ball. Roll ball in nuts and let stand 15 minutes.

Serve with crackers or flatbread. Makes about 30 (1-tablespoon) servings.

Make-ahead directions: Prepare recipe and chill as directed. Then shape chilled cheese mixture into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 1 month. To serve, thaw the cheese ball in the refrigerator overnight. Unwrap and roll in nuts. Let the cheese ball stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

Prosciutto-basil cheese ball: Prepare as directed above, except substitute finely shredded Fontina cheese for the Gouda cheese; stir in 2 ounces chopped prosciutto and 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil with the green onion, and omit the dill. Substitute chopped toasted pine nuts for the almonds. If desired, serve with apples, crackers or flatbread.

Spicy taco cheese ball: Prepare as directed above, except substitute finely shredded taco cheese for the Gouda cheese; stir in 2 tablespoons bottled chopped jalapeno chile peppers with the green onion, and omit the dill. Substitute 1/2 cup crushed corn chips for the almonds.

To make logs: If cheese logs are desired in place of a cheese ball, divide the cheese mixture into 4 equal portions and shape accordingly.

----

Also, a P'tit Basque (a semi-hard goat cheese) served on crackers with my Rhubarb, Jalapeno and Black Cherry preserves - great combination.

---

We're going out to the winery this afternoon to match up the offerings to wines. Hard job, but you know....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wine & Cheese Tour by cjs (I'm doing a Wine & C...)
Those look scrumptious, Jean. I wouldn't worry about the goat cheese tart, it looks pretty darn appetizing to me, but if it really bothers you, could you put some kind of crumbly topping on it? What a fun job you have.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Wine & Cheese Tour by Mare749 (Those look scrumptio...)
The problem is, it seeps out the bottom as you 'dig' (technical term ) into it.

I do have a fun job!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wine & Cheese Tour by cjs (The problem is, it s...)
WOW!!! Three chessey courses! Sounds perfect, and looks divine. Yummm
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Wine & Cheese Tour by Harborwitch (WOW!!! Three chesse...)
I'm on the deck right now and can't see the pictures for the glare, but after I take a look, I want to pick one for this weekend...just from the recipes, I'm liking the sound of the blue cheese one. Big surprise there...huh?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wine & Cheese Tour by Gourmet_Mom (I'm on the deck righ...)
Well, my frig solved my problem!! When I took it out this a.m. (the Herbed Goat Cheese Tart), it had absorbed all the oils and leaving it to serve at room temp when it really does taste better, it's absolutely fine!!

So, it goes back on the menu as is.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wine & Cheese Tour by cjs (Well, my frig solved...)
What a feast--I can't afford a ticket for Jane & me--she won't let me come alone--so we opened a bottle of their Temperenello (sp?) --OMG--have some with your food, it's really good.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Wine & Cheese Tour by Old Bay (What a feast--I can'...)
This gig is for the other winery in town - I think we took you and Jane there also. Harbingers? Have to tell you Bill, Camaraderie has a new red that is giving Tempranillo a run for its money as far as being my favorite. Never thought it would happen. Shoot, can't remember what they named it. will let you know, tho, it's wonderful.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wine & Cheese Tour by cjs (I'm doing a Wine & C...)
Looking great, as usual, Jean! You mentioned chix in the cheese ball recipe and I know it's not supposed to be there, right? Just want you to know I'm paying attention

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Wine & Cheese Tour by pjcooks (Looking great, as us...)
Dang Jean this all looks wonderful!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)