Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef?
  Re: (...)
Do any of you, who follow these things, have the menus and/or recipes for the Obama White-House cocktail parties? All I've heard is that they have served Curried Chicken, Wagyu Beef, and Steelhead Salmon, for example.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef? by labradors (Do any of you, who f...)
I must be living under a rock because I had never even heard of Wagyu Beef. Went to Wikipedpia to learn what it is. Sounds like something I'd like to try, but I'm sure it's not available at the local grocer here!
  Re: Re: Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef? by HomeCulinarian (I must be living und...)
Nor had I heard of it. Apparently it's rather rare and expensive.

Similarly, I had heard of "steelhead trout," but never "steelhead salmon," but it turns out those are just two different names given to rainbow trout that migrate out of rivers and into the ocean. Probably one of the most interesting facts about it is that it is on the endangered-species list!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef? by labradors (Nor had I heard of i...)
I am so happy to hear that besides providing bonuses to those poor souls at AIG, my tax dollars are also making sure that the Whitehouse has Wagyu beef. Heaven forbid they eat like the rest of us....those of us lucky enough to have food on the table.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef? by labradors (Do any of you, who f...)
Quote:

Do any of you, who follow these things, have the menus and/or recipes for the Obama White-House cocktail parties? All I've heard is that they have served Curried Chicken, Wagyu Beef, and Steelhead Salmon, for example.

Wagyu beef is american grown, but in the style of Kobe beef in Japan--never had any-I did send two 8 oz rib eyes to one of my best and most loyal customers one Christmas--well over $100. He was afraid to cook it at first--he said it was wonderful--it's like double, super throw down marbled USDA prime. I'm surprised that the White House would not be afraid to serve that in this economy.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Really! Especially when you see tonight that the First Lady made a big deal out of planting a White House garden, with the help of some elementary school kids, in hopes to educate the children about the value of raising and eating fresh veggies. Supposedly, she's planning on growing the veggies for the "First Family". We'll see! I'm betting we'll not see another word about the "First Family" garden! Let's see if she can match Eleanor's Victory Gardens!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef? by chef_Tab (I am so happy to hea...)
Theresa, you have a good point. Even if I could afford it, I don't think I'd be able to spend that kind of money on a piece of meat. I feel guilty eatting tenderloin, sometimes, knowing how many people are hungry. Extra donation to the food bank that week!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef? by pjcooks (Theresa, you have a ...)
I guess the White House didn't hear that even the "Where in the World is Matt what's his name?" trip has been canceled and in its place is a week long trip across America looking at the affordable "hidden gems" of the USA for vacation ideas. We at work are a possible location for him to visit on his coast-to-coast trip. NBC figured it wouldn't look good to have him featuring "dream travel spots" around the world while people can barely afford to travel on vacations in their own areas...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef? by firechef (I guess the White Ho...)
Regarding the Wagyu beef--my husband and I raise some Wagyu/Angus cattle and I've never tasted the meat. So sad!! We keep them for about a year, then they are all sent off to a special feed lot. This year we're thinking about keeping one here on the ranch and feeding it out and butchering it for our own use. For years I've bought beef at the local grocery store, not sure why since we have access to lots of it "on the hoof."

Sharon
  Re: Re: Who needs pork when you have Wagyu beef? by sharonjo (Regarding the Wagyu ...)
Quote:

Regarding the Wagyu beef--my husband and I raise some Wagyu/Angus cattle and I've never tasted the meat. So sad!! We keep them for about a year, then they are all sent off to a special feed lot. This year we're thinking about keeping one here on the ranch and feeding it out and butchering it for our own use. For years I've bought beef at the local grocery store, not sure why since we have access to lots of it "on the hoof."

I would love to be your new "best friend" when we take our trip up there--I've never had any either--I would bring a bottle of Caymus Special Selection Cab with me--just to share--it's the best I've got!!

Sharon

"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".