"Fish" Peppers
  Re: (...)
Is anyone familiar with these? I just read an article in Mother Earth News about them and find them quite fascinating.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: "Fish" Peppers by Gourmet_Mom (Is anyone familiar w...)
Try this--www.veggiegardeningtips.com/heirloom-fish-peppers/-48k
Boy, I hope that works!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: "Fish" Peppers by Old Bay (Try this--www.veggie...)
No, what are they? I went to the page Bill posted, but got an error message.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: "Fish" Peppers by Mare749 (No, what are they? ...)
Oh, I have the source for buying them Bill. I was just curious if anyone had ever tasted them or grown them. I've never seen them before around here.

Maryann, they are an OLD pepper which was supposedly propagated by slaves and have been an unknown pepper to the general public until the past few decades. They have been used a lot for ornamental plants a in the past few years due to their variegated foliage and striped "fruit". The peppers produce a white salsa used on chicken and fish...mostly in the Northeast. The heat was compared to a cayenne. There is a wonderful article by the man whose grandfather shared the heirloom seeds with a seed company for the first time here in the US in the current Mother Earth News..
Daphne
  Re: Re: "Fish" Peppers by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I have the sourc...)
Neat information...thanks for sharing.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: "Fish" Peppers by firechef (Neat information...t...)
Never heard of them, Daphne - off to check them out. interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: "Fish" Peppers by cjs (Never heard of them,...)
Thanks Daphne, that is interesting. Gosh, I haven't seen a Mother Earth News in ages! I used to subscribe years ago, then I thought they went under. Glad to see they are back.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: "Fish" Peppers by Mare749 (Thanks Daphne, that ...)
Sounds like a heirloom pepper I mean if we have old seeds of tomatoes why not peppers too.
  Re: Re: "Fish" Peppers by DFen911 (Sounds like a heirlo...)
Some more "useless" information on Heirloom Fish Peppers from a veggie garden website I found...

Heirloom Fish Peppers

I began growing Fish Peppers a couple of years ago and liked them so much that they’ve been included in every garden since that initial planting.

The great thing about this unusual vegetable is that the plant is very ornamental and produces huge crops of tasty peppers.

Heirloom Fish Peppers PhotoFish Peppers are unique and easily identified by the splashes of white and yellow that decorate the green variegated leaves. In addition to the leaves being variegated the fruits of this pepper plant are multi-colored as well.

The immature fruits are predominately green and white or cream colored, changing to shades of red, orange, rust, and brown, with striped accents of green, yellow, and cream mixed in when fully mature.

Fish Peppers are very attractive with broad shoulders gradually tapering to a point on these short ornamental fruits. The peppers are mild flavored and were traditionally used in oyster and fish houses around the Chesapeake Bay region in the state of Maryland.

You can grow these productive peppers in the same manner that you would cultivate the more common sweet bell peppers. Start the plants from seed indoors under lights or purchase transplants to set out into the garden after all danger of frost has passed.

Plant Fish Peppers in clusters and situate them in the garden to take advantage of their ornamental appearance. Give them plenty of room as the plants will branch and spread to reach three feet in height and grow over three feet wide when well grown.

The plants support themselves fairly well, but you may want to provide stakes or a cage to offer additional support to the mature plants and ensure that they remain upright. Fish Peppers are even suitable for container growing and can be grown on a deck or in a patio garden.

The fruits are borne in clusters all over the plants. You can harvest and use the peppers at any stage but allow them to mature and change into their reddish hues for the best flavor. The ripened peppers will hold on the plant after they mature and this heirloom variety will continue producing new fruits through the fall and until a killing frost strikes the garden.

The fruits are pretty versatile and lend themselves to raw uses in salads or vegetable trays, or they can be cooked as an ingredient in your favorite recipes.

If you enjoy growing peppers and happen to be searching for a new variety that is interesting and ornamental be sure to add this African-American heirloom pepper to your list. Fish Peppers will reward you with a display of ornamental foliage and fruits, and loads of delicious peppers suitable for a range of culinary uses.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: "Fish" Peppers by firechef (Some more "useless" ...)
In the article by William Woys Weaver, he tells the story of how his grandfather kept bees and was approached by a back folk painter, Horace pippin, back in the 1940's. Mr. Pippin suffered a war injury he referred to as "the miseries". This condition was of an arthritic nature and the old man would beg Mr. Weaver's grandfather to let him counter the pain with honeybee stings. His grandfather was very proud of his hives and was reluctant to comply...he didn't like the idea of killing off his bees, since once they sting they die. The old man traded these, among other heirloom seeds, in exchange for "treatments. Mr. Weaver's grandfather saved his seeds every year and Mr. Weaver finally "inherited" them. Many years ago, Mr. Weaver shared his seed through Seed Savers Exchange (www.seedsavers.org.). He claims that you may not be getting the real thing unless you buy them from this organization. If the peppers are allowed to grow near other peppers, they will spread their recessive gene with those peppers. He calls them "off" seeds.

Here's the recipe for White Hot Fish Pepper Salsa in the article:

The white bell pepper variety called for in this recipe was developed specifically for its white color, and is available in many supermarkets with specialty peppers. This is an excellent salsa for fish or shelfish, and also ceviche. It can be frozen for later use.

1 pound white bell peppers
4 ounces white 'fish' peppers
1 large cooking apple (about 8 ounces), pared, cored, and chopped
1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
4 cloves garlic
1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped (or substitute 1/2 cup lime juice)
1 1/2 tablespoon salt

Seed and chop the peppers, and put them in a large, non-reactive(avoid aluminum and copper) pan. Add the apple, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and pineapple (or lime). Cover and simmer over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until the peppers are soft. Puree to a creamy consistency and return to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil. Stir in the salt, and pour into hot sterilized jars. Seal and store in a dark, cool closet until needed, or freeze. Yields 5 cups

I have never seen the white bell peppers either. HMMMM? Oh well, I'll try to find a picture. They are truly a beautiful vegetable.
Daphne