The Grand Experiment
  Re: (...)
I have been searching for a large container of Celery salt for a long time now. Costco used to carry them, as did Smart and Final/Cash and Carry, but neither carry them any more. I have only been able to find it in the regular spice bottle size and that's just too expensive for the way Paul uses it. So, while I was at Sharon's and we were shopping, one of the clerks at the Dented Chef (I think that's its name) suggested I make my own. I am going to thinly slice 2 heads of celery and then dry them (including the leaves). Then I will grind them in a mortar & pestle or food processor, then begin adding Sea salt, finely ground, until I get the saltiness I want. It's a lot more labor intensive than grabbing a bottle off the shelf, but will keep me busy for a little while anyway. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: The Grand Experiment by bjcotton (I have been searchin...)
Ironic, since we CAN get celery salt here, but are NOT able to find celery SEED.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The Grand Experiment by labradors (Ironic, since we CAN...)
Think I ought to get some celery seed to add to the mix? I've never looked for them, but I'm sure I can find them somewhere.

Billy
  Re: Re: The Grand Experiment by bjcotton (Think I ought to get...)
I would have never thought of doing that, but it makes sense Billy. Let us know if it works!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I can get Celery salt here, but I prefer to make my own with the celery seeds in a spice grinder. I can then add my own salt and control the sodium that way.
Good luck with it, Billy. If it doesn't work out ( not being pessimistic, just thinking ahead ), let me know and I'll pick one up for you at the Sysco outlet.

Quote:

but will keep me busy for a little while anyway

Yes, it will! Are you using a dehydarator for the celery and leaves? I'm thinking the celery seeds and salt are a good thing.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: The Grand Experiment by Lorraine (Good luck with it, B...)
Yes, I'll be using a dehydrator. It'd probably be faster in the oven where I could spread them out on half-sheets, but I don't have to pay as close attention to the dehydrator.

Billy
  Re: Re: The Grand Experiment by bjcotton (Yes, I'll be using a...)
what a great thing to try, Billy! I never buy celery salt, I just up the salt a little when it's called for and grind up celery seeds.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Grand Experiment by cjs (what a great thing t...)
Keep us posted as to how things turn out...garlic salt and the like must not be too far be hind if this works out. Grow your own herbs and such and make your own salts and season salts and even flavoured peppers???!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: The Grand Experiment by firechef (Keep us posted as to...)
So, Billy, how did it go? I would think the flavor would be brighter/fresher when you make your own. I haven't used my dehydrator for a while, but I can tell you that the red chili peppers that we dried last fall are really intense. It might be fun to make your own seasoning blends.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."