Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25
  Re: (...)
Another crockpot dinner tonight - this one I first made in '97 then again in '99 (4/26/99, amazing! - guess it's that time of year) and now 10 years later almost to the day, guess it's time to have it again.

Crockpot Pita Burgers
(I have this recipe coming from 'Whitefish' but don't have the slightest idea who that is/was.)

2 lbs ground beef or ground round
1/2 pkg. dry onion soup mix
2 wet slices bread
1 egg
garlic powder

Mix the above together, shape into patties. set aside.

Make sauce:
1/2 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 T. soy sauce
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup catsup
1 T. cider vinegar
2 T. brown sugar

Dip hamburger patties into the sauce, then carefuly place in crockpot. Pour remaiing sauce over. Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or MEDIUM for 6-8 hours.

To serve: carefully remove the burgers and serve in pita breads with chopped lettuce; or on crusty rolls with chopped lettuce. Or serve with rice and pass extra sauce over the rice.

Also, leftovers are good mixed with a can of mushroom soup and served with pasta.
--------

What's everyone else up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25 by cjs (Another crockpot din...)
It's my monthly book club night tonight. The hostess isn't much of a cook, sometimes she buys pans of pasta dishes from a local Italian restaurant. It doesn't matter, we always have a good time together. For this month we read Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
  Re: Re: Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25 by HomeCulinarian (It's my monthly book...)
Probably leftover Beef and Beans in a burrito and a salad. That was really tasty, Jean.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25 by Mare749 (Probably leftover Be...)
Looks good Jean! Copied and saved. Now to dig out the crock pot. It may be recipes like this that help me make it through testing weeks coming up late April to early May.

Tonight I'm not feeling terribly well, so I picked up a roaster for under 4 bucks and seasoned it up and stuck it in the oven. It's really starting to smell good in the kitchen. I need to go get my taters and peas on. Tomorrow night is pizza night. William has requested we have them once a week....LOL! I think I've finally got that one perfected!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25 by Gourmet_Mom (Looks good Jean! Co...)
Cod cakes, potato salad, (yes, Jean made me think about it) and broccoli slaw.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25 by Lorraine (Cod cakes, potato sa...)
Dragon Steak (an asian marinated flank steak) and roasted asparagus.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25 by esgunn (Dragon Steak (an asi...)
James did some carpentry for a friend and she made me "Take Out Chef" and my challenge was to come up with a meal, just using what she had in the house. She's been working double shifts and hadn't shopped for weeks!
There was a frozen chuck roast, some scallions, garlic, the last of a celery and a bag of frozen California veggie mix. Oh and one box of sour cream & chive potato flakes.
Sooo, we had a simmered pot roast and veggies, with a really good gravy made from some beef broth, the pan crisps and some Zin I found languishing in the fridge. What fun we had!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25 by farnfam (James did some carpe...)
We had Lasagna Soup and the Macaroni Grill bread that was posted here recently. Both were excellent! We're digging out from a full-on blizzard so the soup really hit the spot. I'm so ready for Spring!!!

Dessert was this Torta di Mandorla. Good and easy.

Sharon
  Re: Re: Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25 by sharonjo (We had Lasagna Soup ...)
I made some Italian chicken, the bread pudding as described in the previous post about the goat cheese bread pudding and sauteed spinach with garlic.

This is all being chased by a few cadbury eggs
  Re: Re: Dinner - Wednesday, 3/25 by sharonjo (We had Lasagna Soup ...)
The burgers that I had planned for last night since we ended up in Des Moines at Ruby Tuesday's last night.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)