I Lied - Did One More - Cheese Straws
  Re: (...)
Well, because of the economy, the winery has decided to cut back to just two offerings for the Wine & Cheese Tour and to make those two go further, we're thinking of different ideas - and Cheese Straws are a wonderful way to go.

Made these yesterday (be careful if you try them - they are addictive! )

Cheese Straws- Gourmet | January 2008
Makes about 2 dozen hors d'oeuvres

1/4 pound coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar (1 1/2 cups) (I used aged Gouda)
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon salt
Rounded 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (I used ground black pepper instead)
1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in upper and lower thirds.
Pulse cheese, flour, butter, salt, and cayenne in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk and pulse until dough forms a ball.

Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 12- by 10-inch rectangle (1/8 inch thick).

Cut dough with a lightly floured pizza wheel or lightly floured sharp knife into 1/3-inch-wide strips. Carefully transfer to 2 ungreased baking sheets, arranging strips 1/4 inch apart. (If strips tear, pinch back together.)

Bake, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until pale golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool completely on baking sheets on racks, about 15 minutes.

Cooks' note: Cheese straws can be made 2 day ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature – a lot of the reviewers had a problem when they stored the straws in an airtight container. I left mine out on a b. sheet overnight and they are great this a.m. I might cover loosely with foil.

I did as another review did - refrigerated the dough for ½ hour then worked the dough using a puff pastry style. Roll it, fold it in thirds, reroll it, fold in thirds again and repeat about 10 times. Finish it by using the pasta roller (rolled to #3) and cut it with the fettuccine cutter. These little devils are really addictive. I’m going to try with Chevre today…

Oh, watch while they are baking - mine only took 12 minutes, they are best when a light golden.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: I Lied - Did One More - Cheese Straws by cjs (Well, because of the...)
Those sound fantastic, but is that really a good idea? People will probably be scarfing those down hand over fist! If they have to work for their food (such as scooping up dip with a small utensil) they might not eat so much. Just a thought.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I Lied - Did One More - Cheese Straws by Mare749 (Those sound fantasti...)
the winery is going to hand out all the food... no grazing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Lied - Did One More - Cheese Straws by cjs (the winery is going ...)
Didn't think of that. Good idea. Are wine tastings free out there? In our part of the world, sometimes the winery charges a fee. I remember my brother thinking that was rather tacky.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I Lied - Did One More - Cheese Straws by Mare749 (Didn't think of that...)
Most tastings you do have to pay a fee now, but for this particular event you buy a $25.00 ticked and this entitles you to all the wineries in the area and their offerings - over the weekend.

Matching the wines to the cheese dish - the food will be served along with the tasting of the matching wine, so they won't really look stingy.

You can still find some smaller wineries in the area not charging a tasting fee, but they are getting fewer and fewer. But most all wineries wave the fee if you purchase any wines.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Lied - Did One More - Cheese Straws by cjs (Most tastings you do...)
Thanks you, Jean, nice recipe. I've usually made them with puff pastry, but this one sounds good.

Some of the wineries here have free tastings, others charge a nominal amount, $5.00, but you get a free wine glass.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: I Lied - Did One More - Cheese Straws by Lorraine (Thanks you, Jean, ni...)
I'm pretty sure this is the recipe my GM-I-L used to make. The were always a huge hit. The only difference, she used her old cookie press to "squeeze" them out to get a ridge on the "straw". Does that make sense? And you're right....they are addictive.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I Lied - Did One More - Cheese Straws by Gourmet_Mom (I'm pretty sure this...)
I think one of the reviewers mentioned using a cookie press.
www.achefsjourney.com