Storing Fresh Herbs
  Re: (...)
Hi All. I was wondering how you all store your fresh cut herbs to get the longest life out of them? Mainly Basil, Cillantro, and parsley. For Cillantro and Parsley I usually put the bunch in a glass of water and keep in the fridge, this usually works, but not always. Basil I usually put in a glass of water and keep on the counter or windowsil. This works about 1/2 the time.

Any tips on how you get your herbs to stay fresh would be appreciated. It will be a while before I can get them growing outside in pots or the garden yet.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Storing Fresh Herbs by esgunn (Hi All. I was won...)
Erin I've tried everything - same results you have. When I have them growing at home I try to only pick what I'm going to need.

I used to chop and freeze basil, and just freeze parsley in a bunch and just cut off and chop as much as I needed.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Storing Fresh Herbs by esgunn (Hi All. I was won...)
I found that the cilantro lasted longer in the vegetable drawer than it did in a cup of water in the fridge. Other than that, I haven't had much luck keeping it fresh. With basil, I make pesto and freeze it. I can't wait to see some ideas on this. Glad you brought this up Erin.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Storing Fresh Herbs by chef_Tab (I found that the cil...)
Not wanting to sound like a product plug, but,I've had really good results with that herb keeper that PC makes, 'specially with Cilantro.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Storing Fresh Herbs by farnfam (Not wanting to sound...)
Maybe I am having a senior moment....who is PC?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Storing Fresh Herbs by chef_Tab (Maybe I am having a ...)
Pampered Chef
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Storing Fresh Herbs by farnfam (Pampered Chef [img]/...)
Ok for cilantro and parsley I get 2 paper towels and get them damp. I lightly wrap the herbs and place them back in the plastic bag in the veggie drawer. This has kept my herbs up to 1 week.

Basil I am cursed with. I cannot find any solution to keep it fresh. I have even spent the money on the one that comes in the back with the roots till attached.

I bought some seeds and I'm growing those, along with some I bought in 2" pots. If I can't keep them I'm very hopeful I can grow em.
  Re: Re: Storing Fresh Herbs by DFen911 (Ok for cilantro and ...)
Agreed on the paper towels.

Don't know with the basil, since I either pick only what I need or use all that I have picked/bought.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Storing Fresh Herbs by labradors (Agreed on the paper ...)
I also do as Denise does - wrap in a couple p.towels and put in plastic bag. Basil is really the bugaboo in the mix up tho.

I do buy the paks with the roots (basil) while on a road trip and it lasts fairly well, at least until I use it all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Storing Fresh Herbs by cjs (I also do as Denise ...)
I have good luck putting the fresh herbs in Green bags in the vegetable drawer.