Frankfurters
  Re: (...)
Another good one - didn't take a picture 'cause it would be a real turn off - without all the additives the franks aren't red. But they sure are tasty!

a note on the seasonings - when I had them in the processor and removed the lid, it was amazing. Smelled just like a frankfurter/hot dog. I don't know why I was surprised, but I was.

Frankfurters

3 feet sheep or small hog casing
1 pound lean pork
3/4 pound lean beef
1/4 pound pork fat
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seed
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 cup finely minced onion
1 small clove garlic -- minced
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon kosher or coarse salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper (medium grind)
1 egg white
1/4 cup milk

1. Prepare the casing

2. Cut the pork, beef, and fat into I-inch cubes. Freeze the cubes for about 30 minutes to firm them up before grinding.

3. Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine the coriander, paprika, mustard seed, mace, marjoram, onion, and garlic. Puree until smooth. Add the sugar, salt, pepper, egg white, and milk. Mix thoroughly.

4. Grind the pork, beef, and fat cubes separately through the fine disk of a meat grinder. Mix together, then freeze for 30 minutes, and grind again.

5. In a large bowl, combine the mea and onion mixtures. Mixing tends to be a sticky procedure, so wet your hands with cold water, then mix the
ingredients with your hands.

6. Freeze the mixture for 30 minutes, then grind it through the fine disk of the grinder once more.

7. Stuff the mixture into the prepared casing, prick air pockets, and twist off into 6-inch links. Do not separate them.

8. Bring a large pot of water to a gentle simmer; add the links and parboil in the gently simmering water for 20 minutes.

9. Drain the franks, then dunk them into ice water to chill thoroughly.

10. Remove the franks from the water, pat dry, and refrigerate. Because they are precooked, the frankfurters can be refrigerated for up to 1 week, or they may be frozen for up to 2 months. Reheat until warmed through.
Makes 2 pounds

The humble hot dog is the most widely consumed sausage in the world. Most of the hot dogs you buy in the supermarket are nutritional nightmares, with more than 50 percent of their weight coming from fat, water, and salt. This is not your only choice, as the following recipe demonstrates

Description:
"from Don's book - Home Sausage Making by Susan Mahnke Peery - we made this weekend of 3/28/09"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Frankfurters by cjs (Another good one - d...)
Sounds like you've had a good time playing this weekend, Jean! Ahh, the red hot dog, I think I may have seen them in a movie or something but they're a rarity around here. We're in Schonland natural casing territory or for those who enjoy, Fenway Franks

Oh to have the time to play with making hot dogs... How many years till retirement????

PJ
PJ