FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed
  Re: (...)
I have been meaning to post about this for about a week now and I just want to be able to put into 'non-offensive' words.

After the recent changes at Cuisine at Home, I decided to complete my set of their cookbooks because I so loved the old recipes. They were inspiring to me. I found a copy of the Pasta cookbook at Sam's and eagerly purchased it. They didn't have the other cookbooks, or I would have purchased those also. I thought I could get through the changes with a few of these cookbooks to supplement my needs.

When I got home, I was completely disappointed. They have redone this cookbook in the new format, including changing the original recipes! For instance, the Steakhouse Bruschetta now has less steak and light mayo 'to make it lighter'.

To me this is very disappointing. I know how to 'lighten' the calories of a recipe this way. Lowfat sour cream, fat free mayo, less oil, etc. If I ever said I wanted 'lighter' recipes, I didn't mean this. I meant actual cooking techniques or original reicpes that fit this idea.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed by luvnit (I have been meaning ...)
I saw the pasta "2nd printing" today at Shop and Save and didn't look at it because I have the first. As the old New Englanders would say, I should have "taken a gander". It did remind me, however, that I needed to make the linguine with goat cheese and candied tomatoes and chicken again, though, so I bought the stuff while I was there.

I'm sorry you were disappointed because the first edition was great, a lot my kids would eat out of this one. I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the heads up!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed by pjcooks (I saw the pasta "2nd...)
Hi,

Just curious - are you talking about the "Perfect Pastas" book? If so, that was recently re-issued, but it is the same book that was published back in early 2007. Same book...just re-issued.

Brian
  Re: FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed by luvnit (I have been meaning ...)
Quote:

I have been meaning to post about this for about a week now and I just want to be able to put into 'non-offensive' words.

"Non-offensive" words probably won't matter. Someone else, who had posted a complaint earlier and had been banned started a new account and complained again - all with non-offensive words. That message, along with my non-offensive reply has been deleted, whilst all the offensive-by-their-very-presence messages of the Kraftpushers (whom we all know and hate) remain, untouched.

[Image: apathy.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed by Brian (Hi,[br][br]Just curi...)
Yes, I am talking about Perfect Pastas. Yes, it was reissued, but they have made changes to (at least some of) the recipes. For instance the Steakhouse Bruschetta is one I noticed right away. It is not the 'original'. I noticed this recipe specifically because I was just reading it from a regular monthly issue. The photos were the exact same photos and everything, but the recipe itself had definitely been changed.

I wish I could find the new book I purchased to compare, but I can't find it right now.

Not every recipe has changed, I am sure. But I was looking for the 'original' book. I will just keep a lookout for this in the future as I still have a few of the old ones to get.

I just wanted others to be aware of this when they are making purchases of what they think is an older publication.

I still love my Cuisine at Home and hope this transition turns out to be a good one.
  Re: Re: FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed by luvnit (Yes, I am talking ab...)
Laura - I have the first Perfect Pasta book and don't find Steakhouse Bruschetta in it. It's subtitle is Classic recipes with lighter options.
  Re: Re: FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed by luvnit (Yes, I am talking ab...)
Laura, I just had a thought. Many times recipes from the magazine are put into the special eds and are changed a bit. Is that what you meant?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed by pjcooks (Laura, I just had a ...)
PJ - I've noticed that the topic books often include recipes that have appeared in a previous magazine, too. If I see the book on the rack at Sam's, I look through it before buying to make sure it has more things to try. Sounds like Laura was shopping with kids or in a hurry and didn't have time to look through it first.

It would really help if there was a comprehensive index available in print or on line for the magazines. I have my magazines in a rack up to issue 30 and then in 5 three-ring binders and I need to start binder #6 with the next issue. Every so often, I'll peruse the magazines again, but end up going to the cookbooks when I'm menu planning.
  Re: Re: FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed by HomeCulinarian (PJ - I've noticed th...)
Laura, I agree with PJ. I think I even looked at that particular recipe after Jean posted a so-so review of it. If I remember correctly, the original and the special issue are slightly different. I ordered my Perfect Pastas several months ago. I hope this helps.

BTW, there is a comprehensive index of the magazine on the customer service page. Unfortunately, the special issue books are not included....sure wish they were.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: FYI - Cuisine at Home Cookbooks have changed by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, I agree with ...)
I didn't know - or I forgot - that they added the index. When I went back there I realized I couldn't access it without my account number, which I didn't have. Now there is a way to add your information and they find you. So, I'll be using that now! Thanx, Daphne!